Enterprising alumni build opportunities with Brix

Zuri Jerdon

Dreams are what spur most people to attend a university. For Tony Riordan and John Belder, alumni of Iowa State, dreams and desires remained the focal point of their lives.

Utilizing Iowa State students and alumni, Riordan and Belder recently opened Brix, a restaurant located at 86th Street and Hickman Avenue in Des Moines. Both Riordan and Belder are Cyclones, and they managed to employ eight Iowa State students during the restaurant’s creation.

The idea for Brix was born out of Riordan’s and Belder’s love for fine dining. Both love to eat, but loathe the stuffy atmosphere that can often be associated with the dining experience.

Eventually, Riordan’s and Belder’s passion spurred them to open their own restaurant. Utilizing a range of Iowa State students and alumni, the two set out to see their idea to fruition.

One of the Iowa State students hired by Belder and Riordan was Brian Netten, a graphic designer who is due to graduate in May.

Netten helped Belder decide on the restaurant’s name, pouring over 50 different books on wine before they finally settled on Brix, a German inventor who built the first hydrometer, a tool used in wine making.

The name is also an allusion to the restaurant’s goal of having one of the largest wine cellars in the state of Iowa. The restaurant offers 35 wines by the glass, with a cellar containing 110 different bottles. However, Belder is quick to include that the wine list will soon be revised.

Other Cyclones employed for the project were the DCM Group, an architecture firm owned by alumni Phillip and Sonya Ulieger, who also employ other Iowa State graduates.

Netten, who has opened his own business as a result of his work for Brix, was amazed at the commitment of his employers. “I have been completely impressed with Tony and John,” he said. “They each gave 200 percent the entire time we worked on this project.”

Belder is excited about Iowa State patronage, saying, “We hope to see a lot of the Iowa State community at Brix. Our prices are very moderate; the food and dining experience is first rate.”

Brix is open from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. for lunch, and reopens at 4:30 p.m. for dinner. Reservations can be made at (515) 251-6867. Dinner ranges anywhere from $10 to $19.