Cyclone gymnasts may be best ever at ISU

Chad Calek

The Iowa State gymnastics team opened the 1997 season Saturday night with an impressive showing at a home tri-meet against Nebraska and Southeast Missouri State on January 11.

Although Nebraska won the meet with a total score of 193.675, the Cyclones put forth an effort of 191.675 to finish in second above Southeast Missouri State who tallied a score of 187.400.

Despite the second place finish, ISU Head Gymnastics Coach Amy Pyle was impressed with her team’s effort.

“Our opening score for our first meet was the highest score in school history by four points. Four points is really a lot in gymnastics. It’s like 30 points in basketball. I am very excited about the potential on this team. I think we can be the best ISU team ever,” Pyle said. “Nebraska won the Big Eight last year, so they are a very good team. But they are not unstoppable.”

Cyclone senior Kim Mazza recorded the third highest all-around score in school history at 38.85, just short of her own ISU all-around record she set last season at 39.00.

“She had a great meet. She is just so strong and so focused. I can tell by her workouts and her performance that she will definitely have the best year she’s ever had. I absolutely believe that she will,” Pyle said.

The Cyclones began the meet on the vault, which was ISU’s strongest event of the evening. The Cyclones vaulted an impressive team score of 48.4. That mark was the second highest mark in team history.

Leading the way for ISU on the vault was senior Heidi Kurt who scored a 9.80, followed by freshman Kelly Cherwein who scored an impressive 9.75 in her first collegiant meet.

Sophomore Michelle Hladky led ISU on the uneven bars with a 9.825, which was the second best score in Cyclone history.

Mazza added a score of 9.80 while freshman Kelli Moore recorded a score of 9.75. On the balance beam, junior Shannon Herzog scored a meet-high 9.725.

“I was very pleased with the performance of the freshman. It is their first meet, so you now the nerves are there. You just never know how they will perform. I thought they did very well,” Pyle said.

The Cyclone gymnasts will travel to Illinois State on Jan. 26 for dual meet at 1 p.m. before coming home to host four home meets in February.

“We should not have any problems winning that meet,” Pyle said.