Jischke to discuss diversity at forum

Shawntelle Madison

As part of a continuing series of forums on diversity at Iowa State, President Martin Jischke and his diversity adviser Derrick Rollins will discuss diversity issues at an upcoming forum.

The forum, “Strategies for Change at ISU: A Forum on Diversity,” will take place Wednesday, Dec. 4, at noon in the Maintenance Shop of the Memorial Union.

Jischke and Rollins will make brief comments on campus diversity issues then the audience will initiate the discussion, said Pat Miller, coordinator of ISU’s lecture program.

The forum will be moderated by the dean of the College of Family and Consumer Science, Beverly Crabtree. Introductory comments will be made by Mary Sawyer, an associate professor of religious studies.

“This is another [program] in their series of forums on diversity issues the Committee on Lectures is sponsoring,” Miller said, adding the audience will be allowed to make comments.

“There will be an open mike available for organizations. Resource people in the audience will be asking key questions,” she said.

Miller added that organizations which impact diversity issues have been invited to listen and ask questions.

These organizations include the Black Student Association, Faculty Senate and Government of the Student Body.

Miller said one of the important aspects of the forum is the opportunity for student and faculty organizations to speak with Jischke on issues of concern to them.

“[The forum] provides an opportunity for dialogue with the president. He has an opportunity to hear what a lot of people have to say,” Miller said.

Sponsors of the forum include: the Student Union Board, Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, Diversity Steering Committee, Minority Student Affairs and the Committee on Lectures.