Many registered voters don’t care and some say they don’t have time

Shawntelle Madison

Americans have been given the right to vote democratically. But some people will actually choose not to vote in the 1996 election. Reasons for not voting range from apathy about the government to hatred of politics.

“I don’t think that a lot of people feel as though their vote will make a difference. I know mine will because it will cancel out my husband’s vote,” said Tammy Beeson, a junior in liberal studies.

She also said people believe Washington, D.C., is too far removed from their daily lives and nothing they do can make a direct impact.

An informal survey was taken of 85 Iowa State students, faculty and Ames residents. The survey asked: “Why do you think people choose to vote or not vote?”

There were four possible reasons why people do or do not vote. They were: one, people do not care; two, it’s their duty as Americans; three, they like the candidates that are running; and four, they do not have time to vote.

This survey does not reflect the campus as a whole, but the opinion of the 85 individuals questioned.

The survey revealed nearly half of those questioned believe people did not care about voting.

“I think many do not see that it will make a difference. They don’t see the way they would be effected by government policy,” Joan Rottler, an instructor in religious studies said.

Daron Richardson, a sophomore in art and design, said people don’t vote for two reasons.

“One reason is that most Americans don’t feel their vote will count, or make a change. Another reason is possibly apathy; they just don’t care,” he said.

Richardson said he feels alienated as an African American because many issues that affect him are not addressed.

Jim Hunter, an associate professor in political science, said people who are interested in the government and politics tend to vote more. People in college are knowledgeable of the world, he said.

Hunter explained why people feel a duty to vote. “Traditionally, that is the number one reason. People are taught to vote.”

Seth J. Giddeons, the Wallace-Wilson Dining Service Manager said, “I vote to make a difference, and as a black person there have been many sacrifices made so I can have this privilege.”

Only a small percentage of the people questioned were concerned about the candidates. Some of the people questioned said the candidates were not making enough efforts to reach them.

Kendrick Adams, a freshman in computer engineering said the reason people do not vote is because of the choice of candidates.

“The candidates aren’t reaching out to people in my peer group. Basically I see this election as having to choose the lesser of two evils,” Adams said.

Hunter said a person’s party affiliation does not motivate them to vote. People who tend to to avoid party affiliations tend to pay less attention to politics, thus they vote less.

Only 13 percent said they thought people did not vote because they did not have the time.

Voter Apathy

Do Not Care 55%

Duty as Americans 55%

Like the candidates 18%

Don’t have time to vote 15%

Are they registered?

yes 82%

no 18%