Wild e-mail message gets distributed to ISU students

Shawntelle Madison

Though most students enjoy getting e-mail, would you want unsolicited letters about child pornography?

It happened to Tricia Sandahl, an Iowa State graduate student in community and regional planning.

Late last month, Sandahl was sent an electronic letter from someone who said she was on a mailing list for people interested in child pornography. Sgt. James Robinson of the Ames Police Department said several people reported receiving the same message.

“The DPS was informed, and an investigation took place with the FBI,” Robinson said.

Rob Bowers of the ISU Department of Public Safety said the letter was a result of a “span,” or when someone floods the Internet with letters. The letter was a hoax.

“A young man in New York was getting back at a friend and used his account name,” Bowers said. The person listed as the author of the letter does not exist.

Many students at other universities received the letter. DPS was also informed by other universities about the letter.

An official with the U.S. Attorney’s Office said there are federal laws that cover fraud and obscenity on the Internet. The official said instances, such as this one, involving mail and wire fraud are prohibited.

Still, Sandahl was confused as to how her name was put on the mailing list.

“I was first trying to figure out how I got on the list. I assumed that a list like this would be geared towards men,” she said. “It was only addressed towards me. There were no other names in the heading.”

Most mail sent to several recipients lists all of the names in the heading of the letter. Sandahl was not sure if the letter could be a practical joke.

The letter in question was sent by an America Online user named TipToe0001.

Portions of the letter stated that pictures, VHS, tapes, posters, audio recordings and games based on child pornography were available to buy or trade for other collections of child pornography.

The letter stated: “If you send your picture, I can morph your face into one of the action shots to make it appear that you are having anal sex with a little boy. For $2.99 we can send you a personalized audio cassette of a little boy moaning and groaning your name.”

At the end of the letter, the sender apologized to anyone who received the letter by accident, advising them to delete it.

A list of items and prices for types of child pornography was also viable complete with mailing instructions.

Sandahl said the letter made her very uncomfortable.

“Here I am a single person with two kids, and this happens to me. I’m really against Internet censorship, but this oversteps the boundaries,” she said.

She has contacted America Online and hopes the person who sent her the mail will have his mailing privileges banned. She hasn’t gotten a response.

Bowers advises anyone to report suspicious e-mail letters to DPS. He said people should contact DPS about letters concerning pornography, get-rich-quick schemes and any other suspicious material.