Finding time for everything

Nicole Achter

Making the transition from typewriter to computer can be challenging enough, as well as balancing home-life and a job, but Carol Elliott, a secretary in the economics department has done both and won an award for her service to Iowa State.

Elliott, who has worked at ISU for 14 years, was awarded the Superior Service Award this year.

“I felt very honored to get the award,” Elliott said.

“It is a privilege to get. Not many secretaries receive awards, so it was neat to get it.”

Ron Deiter, professor in the economics department, has worked with Elliott all of her 14 years at ISU.

“I can’t think of anybody else who is in a position, who spends more time working for and with students as Carol does,” Deiter said. He described Elliott as a liaison between students and their advisers.

“When students come into the office their first contact is Carol. Several tell me how they like the way they were greeted in person and over the phone,” Deiter said. He also said many times Elliott will answer the students’ questions without them even having to see their adviser.

“She always greets students on the phone or at the door ready to answer their questions. She is always doing it willingly, making sure everything works out smoothly,” he said. “There is no question that she was deserving of the award.”

Dieter said Elliott does many things and is not just a receptionist. “Whenever students come in the office she drops what she is doing and helps them first,” he said.

Elliot said the best part of her job is the students and her contact with the public. “I enjoy learning to work with different types of people. No day is ever the same,” she said. “The students make it worthwhile.”

Dieter said Elliot does extremely accurate, professional and efficient work. “She also gets things done without complaining.”

When Elliott first started working in the office everything was typed and ditto machines were used instead of copy machines.

“We moved from old-fashioned technology to sophisticated micro-computers. Carol has gone out of her way to learn new technology, which has made her more efficient in the process,” he said.

Elliott said the technology aspect is the only difficult part of her job. “It is a challenge keeping up with all the new computer software,” she said.

Deiter is impressed with Elliott’s work in the office while she has commitments at home. “She does an excellent job in balancing it all,” he said.