Jischke meets with ISU’s black faculty in private

Tara Deering

Iowa State President Martin Jischke met behind closed doors with faculty and staff last night to discuss hot campus issues.

About 30 people attended the closed meeting in the Gallery of the Memorial Union. The meeting started at 7 p.m. and lasted more than two and half hours. The meeting wasn’t finished as of press time.

A Daily reporter was not allowed to attend the meeting. She was invited in, but once officials learned she was a reporter, she was asked to leave. The audience was primarily composed of black faculty and staff.

The meeting was called by Aaron Davenport, assistant director of administration, who invited certain members of the faculty and staff, some students and administration officials. Davenport was not at the meeting.

Jischke said Wednesday he was looking forward to getting views and suggestions from last night’s discussion.

“I’m hoping to do a lot of listening,” Jischke said. “I believe it will be a useful and informative exchange.”

Meron Wondwosen, Black Student Alliance president, was invited to the meeting.

“I think the black faculty and staff addressed important issues of having a moderator at meetings between Jischke and the September 29th Movement, as well as the naming of Catt Hall, and how it has affected recruitment at Iowa State,” Wondwosen said.

“Overall I felt it was a positive meeting for Jischke to hear from black faculty and staff on issues concerning renovation of the Black Cultural Center, Catt Hall, the ethnic studies program and retention of recruitment of minority students,” she said.

Milton McGriff, a member of the September 29th Movement, was also among the invited guests. “The majority feel that Dr. Jischke should have a moderator, and he’s opposed,” McGriff said. “Everyone who has spoken understands that it is a bigger issue than Catt Hall, except Jischke. That’s my impression.”

People who left the meeting early were reluctant to comment on the discussion.

Those recognized at the meeting included: Terri Houston, assistant dean of students; Adam Gold, student body president; Tai Coleman, member of the September 29th Movement; Derrick Rollins, the president’s diversity adviser; Murray Blackwelder, vice president for external affairs; Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance; Carlie Tartakov, professor of curriculum and instruction; Rafael Rodriguez, Minority Student Affairs director; Frank Bell, Minority Student Affairs program assistant; and Brenda Jones, professor of design.