ISU official: More must be done for minorities

Holly Benton

Iowa State has an extensive incentive program to attract minority students, but university officials are becoming increasingly aware that once here, it can be tough for some to adjust.

Many mi-nority students say it’s the little comforts of home that they miss, something Vice President for External Affairs Murray Blackwelder is trying change. Blackwelder said there is a lack of “personal products and services” in the Ames community for minority people.

“This need needs to be addressed,” he said.

Some of Blackwelder’s ideas include adding Black Entertainment Television to Ames’ cable offering and opening a barber shop which caters specifically to minorities. “Right now,” Blackwelder said, “there is a female hairstylist for minorities, but not one for males.”

Such “basic things” are just the beginning, officials say. While there are no specific plans yet, Blackwelder said once an overall plan to make the community more hospitable for minorities is created, he is “the one here who can help rally the community and bring funding.”

“I truly want to work on the action items as soon as they’re identified,” he said.

Blackwelder said ISU President Martin Jischke has spoken with black faculty and staff members about the needs of minority students.

One way the president is looking for ideas is by participating in “Forum on Diversity,” to be held Dec. 4 at noon in the Maintenance Shop. Jischke and Derrick Rollins, diversity adviser to the president’s cabinet, will be on the panel. Mary Sawyer, a member of the African-American studies faculty, will serve as the moderator.

Pat Miller of the Committee on Lectures said the purpose of the forum is to get “a broad spectrum of input” on campus issues such as minority recruitment and retention. Various campus climate issues will also be discussed.

University officials and student groups have recognized heightened racial tensions on campus in light of the continuing Catt Hall controversy and the recent fabricated assault on a black student security officer.

While attempts, such as a barber shop, to make ISU and Ames more amiable toward minorities are regarded as positive steps, some are skeptical. “I hope they’re not going to be substitutes for more important issues,” said Milton McGriff, spokesman for the September 29th Movement.

“I think they’re good, needed things that [Blackwelder’s] doing, but more substantial things are needed,” McGriff said.

McGriff said he hopes implementing the new services will not be an “instead of” action by the university. He said he’s fairly certain that “bringing in these types of things won’t improve relationships within the community.”

That will come, he said, when “more people start to see that we do need conflict resolution … We need to heal.”