Time to set up shop on the web

Shawntelle Madison

Iowa State students looking for a new way to pay off their bills may look into starting a new business via the Internet.

With the assistance of the Internet Association Corporation (IAC), students can use the Start Your Own Business web page to learn how to create a web page-based business.

“The Start Your Own Business and the Student Business Emporium provide the software tools and the marketing support for students to run profitable businesses on the Internet from their dorm rooms,” said Don Philabaum, the CEO of IAC in a press release.

At http://www.startyourbusiness.com/, students can begin their searches. From the initial page, users have several options which include a short course on learning how to start a business and a student emporium mall featuring students pages.

The first step for an interested user is to start the short course. Before the user registers with IAC, they are given a list of materials to look over concerning qualifying for a student business, including contracts and legal matters.

After registration, the student can use the software to set up his store front, David Compton of Compton Communications said. Part of registration includes preparing a business plan and agreeing to practice good business ethics.

The service is currently seeking business leaders and educators as partners in IAC’s mission to help students run profitable businesses.

“We want to set up a program for mentors to help answer questions,” Compton said.

According to the press release, IAC is trying to involve business schools and deans in the project. “Many business schools have classes for students to try out their wings,” Philabaum said.

While the program has aspects designed for students, not many of today’s teachers incorporate the Internet in the classroom.

“I don’t know of any faculty members who use the Internet to teach students,” Kim Sharp, an assistant professor in management said.

Sharp said he will be teaching Management 413, a course in entrepreneurships, next semester. The purpose of the class is to teach students how to start a business from scratch.

“I would be very interested in using this to help teach students. I use the web all the time to teach students where to get data,” Sharp said.

Philabaum started his own business while in college and saw it grow into a million-dollar business.

“We are trying to get educators in schools to give us ideas on how to help students,” Compton said.

Compton added that the program is still only a week old. More information and web pages will be added as time passes.