HoTMaiL solves e-mailing problems

Shawntelle Madison

People who do not have access to an Internet provider may have difficulty e-mailing friends or businesses who have electronic mail. Now a new feature on the World Wide Web has a solution to the problem.

HoTMaiL is a new process developed to allow web users to send and receive e-mail without using a server such as Iowa State’s Project Vincent.

“A lot of times, university students have e-mail accounts. They are locked with the university,” said the publicity coordinator of All Campus Media, Heidi Fehrenbacher. However, after Fehrenbacher left college she no longer had an e-mail address. She acquired a new one at her job, but said she was only able to send e-mail at work.

According to the press release, HoTMaiL at http://www.hotmail. com, provides free e-mail service. A new user simply registers and logs in to the server.

HoTMaiL allows users to create separate folders and to retrieve e-mail.

Students at Iowa State pay fees in order to utilize the computers the university provides. Part of these services includes being able to have an e-mail account with Project Vincent.

However, for those who are not students and do not an an e-mail address, it is possible to send and receive electronic mail free. All that is needed is access to the World Wide Web.

A convenient feature of HoTMaiL is that users can send and receive e-mail from anywhere without an Internet provider.

“It’s a portable system. People can use the HoTMaiL anywhere,” Fehrenbacher said.

However, there can be drawbacks to being a free e-mail service provider, she said. Accessing the page can be difficult at certain times and HoTMaiL may give the user a connection refused message. The server will also deny a user access to the page if the amount to users exceeds the server limit.