M-Shop will play host to an election night party

Jennifer Young

Students who don’t want to watch the election results at home can make their way to the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union tonight.

The Political Science Club and the Ames Voter Coalition are teaming up to bring students to the M-shop tonight to view the election results as they come in.

Jennifer Perkins, president of the Political Science Club, said there will be three television sets, one for each of the major networks.

There will also be an open microphone where students can discuss election issues, as well as other topics. There will be guest analysts present.

Perkins is hoping to get at least 75 to 100 people to the free event. There will be food and refreshments offered. “I highly encourage everyone to go out and vote,” Perkins said. “Your votes do count and do make a difference.”

Judy Dolphin, executive director of the YWCA, said she invites anyone who votes to attend. “It’s a way to bring voters together,” she said. “We won’t turn away faculty, staff and other community members.”

Students are encouraged to show up anytime between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.

Dolphin said she has sent postcards out to several newly registered voters to get the word out.

The College Republicans and the ISU Democrats are also getting together this election night.

Chad Schmitz, a chairman of the College Republicans, said his group is going to the Jim Ross Lightfoot campaign party in Des Moines “since that’s the most exciting race.”

“We’ve been working hard for him,” Schmitz said. “It will be good for people to meet the candidate and rub elbows with the actual campaign people. We can meet all of the people who have been working hard this whole year for this candidate.”

The Greg Ganske campaign is also in the same hotel.

Jeff Sharp, a member of the ISU Democrats, said the Story County Democrats and the ISU Democrats will be going to the Democratic headquarters, 508 Kellogg Ave., to watch the results come in.

“It’s always important to support our candidates and a lot of local candidates will be there,” Sharp said.

Sharp said it was a supportive environment on election night two years ago, although it was kind of “depressing.”

He’s hoping tonight will be better. “We’ve worked together since the end of August,” he said. “It’s time to celebrate what we’ve all done together.”