Mitchell to make court appearance next week

Tara Deering

A preliminary hearing for Deantrious Mitchell is set for Monday afternoon at the Story County Courthouse in Nevada.

Mitchell, a 20-year-old sophomore in computer science from Waterloo, confessed Nov. 4 to filing a false assault report with the Iowa State Department of Public Safety. His case will be heard at 1 p.m. Monday, Nov. 18.

Mitchell, a black student security officer, told DPS officials that he was assaulted and cut by eight white men while on duty near Clyde Williams Field. He claimed racial slurs were used in the attack.

After more than a week went by without a lead, investigators became suspicious.

DPS brought in Iowa’s Department of Criminal Investigation and the FBI to investigate the assault, which was filed as a hate crime with the FBI. Mitchell confessed to the serious misdemeanor after State Medical Examiner’s Office officials concluded his cuts were self-inflicted with a razor blade.

Loras Jaeger, director of DPS, said, “A court date has not been set as of yet.” Mary Richards, Story County attorney, could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Mitchell faces a maximum of a $1,000 fine and less than one year in jail if convicted.

Mitchell, who was released into the custody of his mother after his arrest, is back in school. He may have to face the All-University Judiciary (AUJ) Committee, which has the power to decide his future as an Iowa State student. Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay said she could not comment on whether there are pending AUJ charges against Mitchell.

Unless Mitchell asks to have an open AUJ hearing, if indeed one is ever held, all proceedings would be closed and the outcome may never be made public.

The following are common AUJ procedures that may relate to Mitchell’s case:

* The university contacts the accused at least three class days in advance of the hearing date.

* The accused may challenge for cause any member of the hearing board on grounds of prejudice.

* The accused may be advised by any person from within or outside the university community.

* The accusers must be present at the hearing unless prohibited by medical reasons.

* Testimony may be given by the accused and witnesses during the hearing.

* After hearing the evidence, the board will deliberate in private and decide by majority vote.

* The hearing board will recall the accused, and will present its findings.

* A written report of the hearing will be filed in the student’s disciplinary file in the Dean of Students Office, and the accused will receive a written notification of the findings.

* If sanctions are imposed, AUJ’s position is to be implemented immediately.