Mat success depends on both young and old

Sarah Wolf

The second-ranked recruiting class in the nation and three returning All-Americans, including one NCAA champ, will make a powerful combination for Iowa State’s wrestling squad this year.

Right out of the gate, the Cyclones are ranked No. 2 in the country, thanks to a strong, second-place finish at last year’s NCAA Championships and the one-two punch of youth and experience.

Steven Ballenger, assistant strength coach, said this year’s squad “is by far the strongest I’ve ever worked with.” Even in the preseason, their strength and conditioning is impressive, he said.

In the veterans’ corner, ISU boasts the return of three All-Americans, one of whom is a national champion. Chris Bono, who slapped an exclamation point on last season by winning the NCAA title at 150 pounds, has no plans to sit back and gaze at his trophy.

His folks have the award with them in Florida, which Bono said helps him focus on the new season. “It’s time to start all over and go for the No. 1 spot again,” he said. “I’ve got a lot of clippings, and I’ve got a lot of memories in my head when I lay down in bed at night. I don’t want that feeling to ever leave, so it’s time to get some more feelings.”

An obstacle on his championship path is Lincoln McIlravy, Bono’s arch-enemy from Iowa, who is two-time champ at 150 pounds. McIlravy took last season off to train for the Olympics, but he’s back in competition this year with the No. 1 ranking, which doesn’t bother Bono one bit.

“I’m glad I’m not ranked first. It’s more pressure to be ranked first,” Bono said. “Being ranked second is a lotta pressure. But I’m glad he’s ranked first; let him deal with it. If I beat him, I hope I’m still ranked second. I’d rather be there till the end of the year. I’ve never beaten him, so he should be ranked No. 1.”

Another All-American will not have the chance to battle his Hawkeye nemesis when No. 1 meets No. 2 in Iowa City on Dec. 14. Dwight Hinson, the Cyclone 126-pounder, has, in the past, grappled with Iowa’s Jeff McGinness. Iowa Head Coach Dan Gable recently announced that McGinness would redshirt this season because he has outgrown his weight.

Hinson said that he is disappointed that he won’t get to wrestle McGinness, “but you’ve gotta go with it. You’ve gotta take what they give you,” he said.

Hinson won’t let up on his training despite the lack of his regular competition. ISU Head Coach Bobby Douglas said that his wrestler is in top form.

“Hinson right now is where he was at in March of last year, in physical fitness and conditioning and technique,” Douglas said. “He’s there right now; we just have to keep him healthy and sharpen him up and give him about 40 matches, and he’ll be ready to go.”

Also returning as an All-American is 177-pound Barry Weldon. Weldon earned such status last year at 167 pounds, but he will be bumping up a weight for this season, which he said he feels comfortable with.

Other wrestlers will battle it out for starting positions at the Cyclone Open, which will be at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 17.

One athlete who is ready for a fight is true freshman Luis Blanco. He is the only first-year wrestler who will not redshirt, a move that Coach Douglas rarely makes. But Blanco’s high school record, including an undefeated senior year and state championship, combined with his performance thus far, have propelled him into starting position.

“It was kind of tentative at first, but [Coach Douglas] says I’m ready,” Blanco said. “I’m like, if you say so. I’m working out with Hinson, so if I can work out with him, I can go with anybody in the nation.”

Blanco will most likely wrestle at 134 pounds, a spot that was vacated by Clody Tate when he graduated last year. Blanco said that he’s learning a lot from Tate, though “he still kicks my ass.”

Blanco was also impressed with Douglas and his coaching style. Working with the coach has already improved Blanco’s skill and self-assurance.

“He’s awesome,” Blanco said of Douglas. “He’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever seen. He’s probably the best. I had a problem with my shots, and we worked on a lot of my shots. I’m pretty confident with my shooting ability now.”

Other outstanding freshmen include Perry Parks from Ft. Pierce, Fla., Zach Thompson from Cleveland, Ohio and Cody Sanderson from Heber, Utah. Douglas said he had some very high expectations for these men.

“Those four guys are very good wrestlers,” Douglas said. “Of those four guys, I predict that all four will be All-Americans. How soon they’ll get there, based on what I can see, it’s not going to take them long. If they don’t make it as freshmen, they’ll definitely make it as sophomores.”

With all of this talent, both young and experienced, Douglas is quite optimistic for the squad’s chances at a national championship in late March.

“I’m banking on being a contender for the title from now on,” he said. “I’m not gonna make any excuses: I see a very greatly improved Iowa State wrestling team. And the thing that I like most of all is that they’re competitive. These guys won’t stop fighting. And they’re gonna be in shape.”