Culture of fraternity places it in class of its own

Shawntelle Madison

“Oportunidad para sabiduria, sabiduria para cultura,” means opportunity for wisdom, wisdom for culture. It is the motto of Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity.

Sigma Lambda Beta is the only historically Latino fraternity on campus. It is not as well-known to students as most of the Pan-Hellenic, Inter-Fraternities Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council fraternities and sororities, but their pride in their latino culture puts them into a special class all of their own.

History

Sigma Lambda Beta began on April 4, 1986 at the University of Iowa by 18 men. Sixteen of these founders were of Latin descent. Their goal was to see that all of society could realize the importance of Sigma Lambda Beta’s five principles: brotherhood, scholarship, leadership, cultural awareness and community service.

The Omicron chapter at Iowa State was founded April 12, 1992 by Roy Salcedo, the current president, and Alex Ruiz, the current chapter treasurer.

Salcedo recalls how the chapter was founded, “It kind of began when I first met Alex. My mom gave him my number. We wanted to join a fraternity, but the white ones had no brotherhood and the black ones were not very accepting of Latinos.”

Thus the two men started the Omicron Chapter of Sigma Lambda Beta.

Membership

Sigma Lambda Beta has 23 chapters internationally with more than 1,000 members. There are other Latino fraternities, but Sigma Lambda Beta is the only fraternity that extends from coast to coast with members in Puerto Rico.

The Omicron Chapter of Sigma Lambda Beta has a total of seven members from both Iowa State and DMACC.

Miguel Figeroa, a Sigma Lambda Beta member, said he joined because Hispanics should try to do things together.

Figeroa said he found out about the organization from the packet he received about the Iowa State campus before applying. The packet included information about Sigma Lambda Beta. He came to Iowa State in the spring of ’94. He became a member later that year.

Sigma Lambda Beta acquires new members through informationals.

When looking over possible new members, Salcedo said,”We evaluate their personalities. We look for what they can do for the community.”

Community Service

Salcedo said Sigma Lambda Beta was not just about having a good time with parties and drinking.

Chapters of Sigma Lambda Beta are required to do two community service and cultural projects a semester.

The Omicron chapter encourages each member to do individual volunteer work. The chapter has worked with the Boys and Girls Club and other organizations.

Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity has worked with many of the Latino organizations on campus. They have hosted dances with Sigma Lambda Gamma, the Latina sorority, and programs with other Latino organizations.

Salcedo said the Betas are willing to work with anyone, black or white.

Figeroa said part of community service is helping other Latino students who are new adjust to the Iowa State community. Having been new to Iowa State himself from Puerto Rico, Figeroa said he knows what it like to be new to Iowa. A familiar face that speaks the same language is helpful.

One of the Omicron chapter projects this semester is teaching a class of Spanish speaking workers in the community how to speak English better. Figeroa said, “We find a room in the Memorial Union or somewhere and teach them basic English to help them work better in their job environment.”

Similarities and Differences

All the fraternities and sororities on campus have many things in common. Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity is no different.

Salcedo said everyone has similar foundation for their goals and principles. Everyone also proudly wears their letters to represent their organization.

He added that Sigma Lambda Beta has similarities with the black fraternities. He said the closeness between members was similar. One could approach a Beta from out of town and he would not treat his brother like some stranger. Like the black fraternities, the Betas also give their members special individual names and numbers after their intake process. Members can choose to be branded with a lambda on their arm.

The men of Sigma Lambda Beta have goals similar to other organizations, but there are differences that are immediately evident. Sigma Lambda Beta is very small compared to the majority of Greek organizations on campus.

Salcedo said, “We don’t worry about numbers. We don’t need 100 brothers to pay the rent.” Salcedo added that they do not need a house. He also said the organization does not have a quota for membership.

Salcedo said the quality of brotherhood was also different. He tries to do things with his frat brothers once a week.

“You’re not going to get along with everybody, but we do things together,” Salcedo added.

Latinos and ISU Community

Salcedo said, “The campus is seen as black and white, but what is in between is never seen.”

Figueroa said Iowa State does have a Latino community that is stereotyped and its people are not seen as intellectual collegiate students. Figueroa added that people should not believe what the media and television show as the behavior of all people of Hispanic descent.

The men of Sigma Lambda Beta hope to set a positive example to help the Latino students and the Iowa State community.