Black leaders take ISU to task

Tara Deering

Meron Wondwosen, president of the Iowa State Black Student Alliance, is taking issue with the university’s response to the racial assault on black student security officer Deantrious Mitchell.

ISU President Martin Jischke’s response, she said, has been weak concerning this and other racially motivated incidents. “If President Jischke has not made us a top priority, then how can we expect the community to respect us? Perhaps the administration needs racial slurs directed at this man to get them to do something.”

More than 50 people were present at a noon press conference held by the BSA and the September 29th Movement in the Oak Room of the Memorial Union. Mitchell was not in attendance. Speakers from both groups addressed the administration’s role in handling the incident.

Mitchell, a 20-year-old sophomore in computer science from Waterloo, was assaulted by a group of white individuals at about 2 a.m. Oct. 18. He was beaten and cut after he approached the group on Clyde Williams Field and asked for identification. One man was reportedly drinking alcohol.

The attackers shouted racial slurs at Mitchell. In more than one instance, the word “nigger” was used, officials said.

Jischke responded to the assault in a letter published in Monday’s Daily and in written statements.

“I am absolutely outraged and deeply saddened by this incident. It is totally inconsistent with what this university and this community stand for,” Jischke said. “We will not tolerate this kind of vile and appalling action. We are doing all we can to find who is responsible and we will prosecute them to the fullest extent.”

Wondwosen also criticized the Minority Student Affairs Office for not having a voice or taking a stand during racial incidents.

“The office of Minority Student Affairs has been virtually invisible, as far as addressing the issues of minority students on this campus,” Wondwosen said.

Rafael Rodriguez, director of Minority Student Affairs, spoke up after Wondwosen’s criticisms. “We stand united against any form of violence against anyone,” he said.

Catt Hall was again an issue. “Once again this action demonstrates a lack of respect to all the previous stated groups [minorities] and also to progressive whites,” Wondwosen said.

Gabriel Clausen, director of security for the September 29th Movement, said officials with the specially organized group are working on a plan to make the campus safer for black students.

On Friday the administration called black professors encouraging them to talk to black students. But Clausen said black students are not the people who started the violence. They are, however, being blamed for it, he said.

He encouraged the community and especially alumni to voice concerns.

Milton McGriff, a member of the Movement, said Jischke has not shown any respect for minority students. “He has ignored,” he said.

McGriff called Jischke a “no-commenting president.”

Rob Ruminski, a member of ISU Activists, a group that helps organize political events, said Jischke “is a servant of the students of ISU, and their concerns should be his top priority.”

In related news

Isra Harahap was the first Department of Public Safety officer to arrive at the scene of the assault in a parking lot behind Helser Hall.

He said yesterday that Mitchell was lying on the ground when he arrived. Harahap administered first aid to Mitchell’s cuts. He covered him with blankets to prevent him from going into shock, and he immobilized his head.

Mitchell was interviewed by Harahap that morning. Mitchell said at that time there were between six and eight men who assaulted him, Harahap said. Mitchell was on his way to Westgate Hall when the incident occurred.

Harahap said he escorted Mitchell to the hospital, where he further interviewed Mitchell about the incident.

Harahap said he could not release the racial slurs that were directed at Mitchell because they are key to the investigation.

As of press time Tuesday, no arrests had been made. There is a $1,200 reward for any information that leads to the arrest of the assailants.