Conference to promote women’s interest in law

Jennifer Young

Students interested in learning about law school can attend the 20th annual Women in Law Conference at the University of Iowa College of Law.

The conference will take place October 12 and is sponsored by the Organization of Women Law Students and Staff (OWLSS), the College of Law and the U of I student government.

Christine Conover, conference coordinator, said the event is taking place because there is still a need for more women in the law profession.

“We’re going to try to give participants a look at what a law class is like,” Conover said.

Professor Margaret Raymond, at the U of I will lead a mock law class to give students an idea of what a “real” law class is like.

There will also be several panels throughout the day. The first will be an informal student panel that includes second and third year law students. Students will discuss the trials and tribulations of attending law school, Conover said.

The second panel of professionals will be women attorneys who are practicing in public and private fields of law. They will be available to answer audience questions.

“They will be talking about what it’s like to be a woman practicing law,” Conover said.

The third panel will include representatives from the offices of admissions and financial aid. Representatives will be on hand to answer questions about how to get into law school and how to get financial aid.

The conference will feature keynote speaker, Jane F. Spande, associate judge of the 6th district. Spande will speak on the role of women in the law profession.

“This is a good opportunity for people who have thought about law school,” Conover said. “It gives students more background of what they want to do.”

She said the goal is to promote women’s interest in law. She said students do not have to be committed to going to law school to attend the conference.

The conference drew nearly 50 people last year and Conover hopes for even more this year.

She said there are a lot of ISU graduates enrolled in the U of I law school. She encourages interested ISU students to come, especially juniors and seniors, because it is a “good chance to learn more about law school.”

The registration for the conference will begin at 9:30 a.m., and the events will start at 10 a.m. and end at 2:30 p.m. Optional tours of the law school will begin at 2:30 p.m. and end at 5 p.m.

The registration fee is $10 and includes an informal breakfast, lunch and covers materials needed for the conference. Conover encourages everyone to register early.

If there are any questions, call the OWLSS office at 319-335-9052 or 319-337-2539. Conover said students are welcome to leave a message. Registration over the phone is encouraged.

20th Annual Women in Law Conference

Being held Sat., Oct. 12 at the Univ. of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City.

9:30 Registration

10:00 Welcome

10:15 Mock Class

Taught by Proff. Margaret Raymond at the Univ. of Iowa College of Law

11:00 Student Panel

12:00 Lunch

Keynote address: Jane F. Spande 6th District of Iowa Associate Judge

1:00 Proffesional Panel

1:45 Informational Panel

2:30 Law School Tours