Reward fund in assault case gets more donations

Tara Deering

The reward for information leading to the arrest of the individuals who beat a black student security guard last week is still growing.

Jerry Stewart, associate director of the Department of Public Safety, said an unidentified Iowa State faculty member donated $500 to the reward. The faculty member asked to remain anonymous.

Wednesday night, the Government of the Student Body contributed $1,000 to the reward fund. The university established the reward with a $1,000 offer earlier this week. The Union Drive Association has also contributed $200.

And last night the Inter-Residence Hall Association meeting, members approved a $500 contribution, bringing the total to $3,200.

Deantrious Mitchell, a 20 year-old sophomore in computer science from Waterloo, was reportedly assaulted by six to eight white men about 2 a.m. on Oct. 18 while on duty as a student security officer.

He was cut and beaten after approaching the group and asking for identification near Clyde Williams Field. One of the individuals was reported to be in possession of alcohol.

Mitchell was subjected to racial slurs by the individuals during the attack, officials said.

The cutting instrument and spoken racial slurs have not been released by DPS officials for fear that it will hinder the ongoing investigation.

Stewart said officials are also consulting other agencies to help in the investigation.

“We are spending a tremendous amount of time in this investigation,” Stewart said.

There had been no arrests as of press time Thursday.