To be, or not to be a theatre major?

Sarah Wolf

Gifted thespians, designers and dancers no longer have to claim majors in speech communications, health and human performance or interdisciplinary studies.

Now, thanks to a “surprisingly swift” state Board of Regents decision, they can proudly state their field of study as performing arts, said Gregg Henry, associate professor of theater and director of theater.

The new major, which is included under the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, requires a minimum of 124.5 credits. Students also have the option of earning a minor with 21 credits.

Like students in many curricula, those in performing arts have three options of study within the major. The emphases fall into three groups: acting/directing, which covers everything from the history of theater to basic voice techniques; theatrical design, which teaches stage craft and elements of design; and dance, which includes ballet, jazz and biomechanics.

Those who feel most at home on the stage, for instance, have had to make do with majors in — of all things — speech communications or interdisciplinary studies.

Cara Peterson, an active participant in ISU Theatre, has gone through several years of college with the somewhat confusing field of study. She is a speech communications major with an emphasis in theater — all of which is classified under the department of music.

Since she is a senior and plans to graduate in May, she won’t be switching her major to performing arts. “It would have required staying another year,” Peterson said. “I’ve taken just about every theater class, but I’d have to take some of the music and dance classes [to fulfill the performing arts requirements].”

Peterson said that had she been a freshman or sophomore when the new major was created, she would have switched over. She thinks that combining dance, theatrical design and acting/directing emphases into one major will create some much-needed cooperation.

“That’s the one thing that’s been missing around here for a while: the collaboration between the three departments,” Peterson said. “It doesn’t happen very often. I think it’s a good deal. We’ll get lots of training to go out into the world.”

Henry agreed that organizing the three fields of study into one major will increase the teamwork between what were previously three separate areas.

“We’ve figured out great ways to work with our colleagues in music,” he said, citing last year’s production of “Pirates of Penzance” as an example. And we assist the dance program on some of their concerts, with lighting design or what have you. This major formalizes that relationship and underlines the fact that we all can work together.”

Peterson also said the new major will put an end to the strange classifications that had caused some headaches. “We had the theater department, but no major,” Peterson said.

Jane Cox, associate professor of music, agreed that no one will miss the confusing terminology and its effect on school documents and resumes.

“When students graduate, they can have on their records that they will have graduated in performing arts,” she said. “There was no way theater or performing arts was ever on their diploma. At long last, it’s really going to reflect what a student is interested in.”

And because Iowa State is known more for its agriculture and technology than its arts, Peterson said she has known at least a couple talented students who have transferred because of the small program here. She hopes such things won’t happen in the future and, instead, the new major will attract incoming freshmen.

Already, “we have more majors than we projected for the end of the year,” Henry said. While faculty members were expecting 10 people to declare a performing arts major, so far 16 students have done so, the bulk of whom are in the acting/directing emphasis.

Officials say there is also some early indications that the dance emphasis will be popular.

Nearly everyone agrees that students who major in performing arts will reap the rewards of interdisciplinary study. While the new major requires more work and more required classes, the hope is that students will appreciate the knowledge once they’re out of school and searching for a job.

Along with the core requirements within the major, students must also fulfill the requirements of the LAS College, including credits in humanities, verbal communication, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences.

Henry said, “[Students’] heads are opened to other performing arts. A student may be an actor, but he’ll have to play piano. They may be in design, but they’ll have to take dance classes.”

Janice Baker, assistant professor of dance, pointed out that a well-rounded education makes a person more marketable once he or she is out of school. “When you’re working, you’re expected to sing, dance and act,” she said. “Nowhere can you make a living just acting.”

Baker cited examples of “West Side Story” and “Cats” where all performers “sang, danced and acted. Unless you’re looking at Andrew Lloyd Webber, which is almost grand opera, the industry requires a triple-threat person.”

A fourth emphasis, musical theater, is also in the works and is projected to be implemented in about two years. Cox, for one, is excited about it. “I have a strong interest in it,” she said, “and I would hope to help those involved with projects and ideas.”

The performing arts major has got a lot of people pumped up. As Cox put it, “People in theatre, dance and music feel a sense of excitement and renewal that we have something we’ve worked for.”