Mahaffey sees student loans as a necessity

Tara Deering

Third district congressional Republican candidate, Mike Mahaffey said he does not believe in cutting student loans.

“Student loans are important to this district,” Mahaffey said yesterday.

The Democrats say the Republicans are trying to cut student loans, but Mahaffey said that is not true.

He said the advertising scare tactics used by politicians concerning student loans is unacceptable.

Mahaffey said it took quite a few years for him and his wife to pay off their student loans.

With increasing tuition expenses, Mahaffey believes that student loans are essential in giving people the chance to attend college.

The interest rates applied to student loans are also a factor that Mahaffey is concerned with. An interest rate reduction would save money, and if the government will balance the budget it will lower interest rates, Mahaffey said.

“I think that balancing the budget and getting it in line is one of the most important things that we could do for the future,” Mahaffey said.

The money supplied for student loans comes mostly from taxpayers, and sometimes the government.

He said the issue of students receiving more money than is needed for their college expenses should be looked into. Although he understands the temptation to take the extra money, he does not believe the students realize it will also have to be repaid.

“We talk about the fact that we continue to spend more money than we have, and we cannot sustain the economy with that system,” Mahaffey said.

“One of the disappointments in politics right now is the failure of educational programs and policies.” He said there should be more vouchers and charter schools established. “We need to make schools more accountable.”