Jischke, administrators serve up scoops for charity

Holly Benton

Several Iowa State administrators and staff members traded their ties for aprons Monday in the name of charity.

Local celebrities included ISU President Martin Jischke, College of Veterinary Medicine Dean Richard Ross and Associate Deans Eldon Uhlenhoppe and Prem Paul. Monday they all participated in “Celebrity Ice Cream Sundae Feed” which benefited the United Way of Ames.

The event, sponsored by the ISU student chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association, took place at the College of Veterinary Medicine Physiology and Pharmacology Conference Room from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

For a $1 donation, students were treated to vanilla sundaes, complete with the toppings of their choice, prepared by one of several ISU officials.

By the time the celebrities retired their scoops, nearly 275 people had been served. The event raised more than $300, with all of the proceeds going to the United Way.

Jischke appeared enthusiastic during his half-hour stint as ice cream scooper. He chatted and socialized with the students almost as well as he was maneuvered his metal ice cream scoop.

“I’ve been supportive of United Way all the time I’ve been here, and I thought it would be a neat thing to do,” he said. Jischke offered seconds on his handiwork, which he said was “the best” choice of sundae.

Andrea Bashara, student service specialist, said the group spent less than $10 on the event. Donations from local businesses provided most of the supplies. Hy-Vee donated the ice cream; Fareway and Save-U-More donated some toppings; Cub Foods donated a gift certificate to buy toppings; and Sam’s Club provided a $25 gift certificate for paper supplies.

Linda Brinkmeyer, college coordinator for the United Way, said the event was a nice way to give something back to students.

She said that the university coordinated a fund-raising campaign, and each individual college set a goal to be reached. Vet Med has already met its goal.