Fighting fears of fire

Jennifer Whalen

In light of the Oct. 5 fire at the Theta Chi fraternity house, questions of residence hall safety have been on the minds of students. Whether or not certain residence halls are equipped to handle large fires has become a major issue.

One of the questions being asked is what is the probability that a complex, such as Friley, could burn down?

“The construction in the residence halls is much different than in a private home,” said Randy Alexander, director of residence. “I remember hearing about a fire in the Towers a couple of years ago. The room that had the fire in it was nearly gutted, but when you looked in the rooms on either side or in the room above, you couldn’t even tell that there had been a fire.”

Even though the threat of a fire is always present, the probability isn’t nearly as high, especially in Friley and the Towers Residence Association, because the walls are made of concrete, Alexander said.

If Friley or the Towers were to burn down, for instance, many outreach groups would offer help to the students. Groups such as the Red Cross and the Ames Police Department would be available to assist, said John Dethrow, Ames fire inspector.

If a complex as big as Friley were to burn down, it would cause major devastation, Dethrow said.

Finding the cause of the fire and inspecting the building to determine where the fire started are a few of the activities the Ames Fire Department practices each time they are called to a fire, he said.

As far as the last time the residence halls were checked by a fire inspector, Dethrow wasn’t exactly sure.

“It was either last summer or the summer before that the residence halls were inspected. It alternates between the residence halls and the [remaining campus] buildings each year, but they are checked at least every two years,” Dethrow said.

While both Alexander and Dethrow work to keep the buildings maintained, the residence halls have resident assistants to ensure fire safety rules.

The RA’s make sure students living on the floor get out of the building safely during fires and fire drills. They also enforce fire safety rules in the residence halls.

Each house conducts fire drills every semester, said Wasanthi Perera, resident assistant of Anthony House in Friley Hall.

“Our job as RA’s is to run down the halls when the alarm goes off and knock on the residences doors to make sure they have left the building,” Perera said.

If the alarm goes off, and it is not planned, the RA’s are to assume it is an actual fire and proceed in getting everyone out of the house.

“Our other job is to wait for the fireman and show them where the house is located,” Perera said.

For students who were bothered by the recent fire, or for students who feel they need to talk to someone about concerns they are having, there is counseling available.

“I am aware of some community concern,” said Gene Deisinger, assistant director for clinical services .

“There are student counseling services available to all students. The dean of students office is also available, more for people who were directly affected by the fire.”