September 29th Movement to turn one year old

Tara Deering

This weekend is the one-year anniversary of the Sept. 29 issue of Uhuru magazine, a newsletter circulated by students around the campus, that documented racist comments uttered by Carrie Chapman Catt while working for passage of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote.

The September 29th Movement, so-named for the date the Uhuru article was published, will kick off weekend activities this Friday with a noon rally at Parks Library.

As far as problems with the events falling on the same weekend as Homecoming, Iowa State President Martin Jischke said, “There is no reason to believe it will cause a problem, and students have conducted themselves well.

“I believe they have every right to express their own views, and do it in an organized way,” Jischke said, in response to the Movement’s rally tomorrow.

Many students at ISU still do not know a lot about the Movement, said Milton McGriff, a September 29th Movement member and an advocate spokesperson in the media for the Movement. He said the Movement is for everyone.

“The Movement is not just a few people who are leading, the Movement is black, white, brown, Hispanic, red and Asian students who are wanting change,” McGriff said. “They’re actively involved when we need them to be.”

The major goal of the Movement during the past year has been to rename Catt Hall. “We wanted to stay focused on Catt Hall,” McGriff said.

Catt Hall is the main focus of the September 29th Movement because they see it as a symbol, McGriff said.

“We’re going to stay focused on Catt Hall because that symbol has to come down. As a burning cross, it has to come down,” McGriff said. “It symbolizes a certain kind of thinking, a certain kind of attitude. It’s a kind of thinking that wants to make it look like you’re changing, but you’re not really changing.”

During the past year the Movement has been unsuccessful in getting Catt Hall’s name changed, but McGriff is very optimistic about the change. Getting the name changed is not up to Jischke, but it is up to the ISU community, McGriff said.

A change in the name of Catt Hall would be decided by the state Board of Regents.

McGriff commended Derrick Rollins, diversity adviser to the president’s cabinet, for his memo that was submitted last week. “I know that Rollins’ memo had a positive effect on some people.”

Rollins said he thinks the September 29th Movement benefits ISU overall, and their approach should be commended.

“They see some situation that needs to be addressed, and they’re doing it through the power of the press, research and sound investigation,” Rollins said.

“They should not feel that their efforts are in vain,” Rollins said. “They’re bringing us into the future.”

Rollins’ memo was well received by some and not by others. Many faculty did not want to comment on the memo, and many wondered what brought him to write the memo.

“I wrote the memo out of the conviction for the community of Iowa State, to challenge people of what we were doing and its consequences,” Rollins said.

Looking towards the future, the Movement hopes to still exist years from now, even under a new leadership. “We want to see the September 29th Movement outlast us,” McGriff said.

The growth of the September 29th Movement is one of their major accomplishments. “The major accomplishment that I’ve seen and I think that everybody has seen now, is people are starting to listen because we’re providing information,” McGriff said.

With people listening to the information provided, the September 29th Movement has seen a shift in attitudes change toward them. “Because we’re respecting people, people are respecting us,” McGriff said.

He said this weekend’s September 29th Movement activities are for everyone, and everyone is invited to attend.

Jane Cox, associate professor in music, provided the following excerpts from speeches Catt made denouncing racism.

In 1917, Catt wrote an article for The Crisis, the magazine of the NAACP, the article read, “And there will never be a true democracy until every responsible and law-abiding adult in it, without regard to race, sex, color or creed has his or her own inalienable and unpurchasable voice in the government.”

In 1925, when Catt was president of the Conference on the Cause and Cure of War in Washington D.C. she stated in her public address, “We do not in this country face the color question fairly and squarely and find some kind of a decent solution for it, and that failure is rightly used against us throughout this hemisphere.”

Catt continued, “Sooner or later the white races must disgorge some of their spoils and give a place to the other races of the world. We stole land — whole continents; we stole it at the point of swords and guns; and we might as well understand that we must not have an acre to a man while they have an inch to a man.

“We must leave the door open to whatever arrangements we may make for peace in order that justice can be done to all the races on all the continents.”

Sept. 29th Movement Events: Celebrating a Year of Resistance, A Year of Struggle

“Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding”

Workshops and Films About Resistance and The Struggle

Friday, September 27th Rally at Parks LIbrary

Noon

Double Feature: Sankofa and documentary

at the Gallery in the Memorial Union

6 p.m. to Midnight

Saturday, September 28th Workshop at the Pioneer Room in the Memorial Union

10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Double Feature: The Battle of Algiers and

documentary at the Gallery in the Memorial Union

6 p.m. to Midnight

Sunday, September 29th To Be Announced

Workshop Topics and Presenters

Gabriel Clausen:

“The Origins and Effects of the Concept of Race and the Practice of White Supremacy in North America”

Meron Wondwosen:

“White Woman’s Burden: Carrie Chapman Catt and Racism Within the Suffrage

Movement”

Milton McGriff and Allan Nosworthy:

“The September 29th Movement: A Year of Resistance, A Year of Struggle”