Faculty members of yesterday rest nearby

Shawntelle Madison

Not many students know that many great Iowa State faculty of the past rest nearby.

The College Cemetery, located at the northwest corner of campus along Pammel Drive, holds many familiar last names students see everyday. Names such as Helser, Wilhelm and Hamilton are familiar sights, also are the names Osborn, Kildee and Coover. The list is quite long.

These well-known names can be found as hall names, streets and floor names for dormitories across campus.

In the center, one will find the largest gravestone belonging to Adonijah Strong Welch. Welch was the first president of ISU from 1868-83. Raymond Pearson, the president of ISU from 1912-1926, lies there also. There are other large gravestones with names like Beardshear, Spedding and Curtiss.

The most recent burial date was in 1995. Last year Harley Wilhelm was laid to eternal rest. Wilhelm Hall along Pammel Drive was named in honor of him.

According to the book Iowa State University and Its Buildings: 1859-1979, the College Cemetery first came to light at the Board of Trustees meeting on August 16-19, 1876. Under the supervision of Welch, the site was selected and surveyed. An appropriation for fencing was made in 1883.

It was in November of 1895 that the trustees had the cemetery enlarged to accommodate new plots. An expenditure of $100 was made to ensure that the cemetery be properly taken care of through the years.

In 1906, cemetery lots were assigned to those who requested them. A year later, on April 12, 1907, the Board of Trustees adopted regulations on the usage of the cemetery.

At the present time, lots are assigned to anyone with more than 15 years of service to the university and to those with a higher rank than of an assistant professor.

Today the cemetery is a little hard to see with the lush trees growing around it.

The cemetery can be found by looking for the short iron fence and brick entrance next to the outdoor classroom and across from the Town Engineering Building.