International Opportunities Festival today

Arianna Layton

The fifth annual International Opportunities Festival will take place today in the Great Hall of Memorial Union from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The festival is sponsored by the Study Abroad Center to allow students to explore options for gaining international experience on and off campus.

“With the way the world is changing and becoming smaller, employers will be looking for students with some international experience whether that experience is gained abroad or right here on campus,” said Lisa Sapolis, Study Abroad Center program coordinator.

“Students can come and find out about a whole array of opportunities,” she said.

Many of last year’s participants will be returning, along with several new exhibitors. This year there will be nearly 50 exhibitors, an increase over last year.

“It’s a growing event,” Sapolis said.

Exhibitors include Iowa State study, work and volunteer abroad programs, other universities that have international programs, Explore Store, University Book Store, travel agencies and international groups and organizations on campus that allow students to get involved in international activities without having to leave campus.

There will also be a table about financial aid for students who wish to study abroad, including sponsor programs and aid for graduate students to do research abroad.

The Study Abroad Center is also making an effort to have more students at the festival who have studied abroad or are from other countries.

“It’s good to have other students perspectives,” Sapolis said.

People attending can sign up for door prizes including a $200 voucher for airline tickets and $20 gift certificates for restaurants.

Even for freshmen who still have plenty of time to start thinking about study abroad and other international opportunities, “It’s good to start planning early,” she said.

Anyone who is unable to attend the festival but is interested in learning more about international opportunities, information is available in the Study Abroad Center in Room 5 Hamilton Hall. Some programs for spring semester are still open.