Iowa State parenting curriculum touted

Tara Deering

The parenting curriculum developed by researchers in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences at Iowa State has been well received in many schools throughout Iowa.

The curriculum is designed for family and consumer science classes in secondary schools.

The curriculum was developed by a team of researchers, including Sally Williams, professor, Judy Brun, professor and chair, and Betty Trost, graduate assistant. They started developing the curriculum in fall of 1993, and the first printed edition appeared in 1995.

The second edition is now available at the University Book Store.

“The number of schools in which the curriculum is used is not known,” Williams said. Before using the curriculum in their classes, secondary school teachers had to attend two workshops at ISU to become better acquainted with the teaching of the material.

“It is very important that all young people prepare for the parenting role.

“All adults should have the experience and capability to interact with children,” Williams said.

Martha Kleatt, a family and consumer sciences teacher at Perry High School, is currently using the curriculum during this academic year.

“The students have found it interesting, realistic and have an understanding of parenting and the responsibility involved. The curriculum is not one sided, and it involves a wide variety of activities,” Kleatt said.

The curriculum helped Kleatt’s students understand themselves, their relationships with others and the misbehavior of children, she said.

“The students did fun activities including reading literature and writing, which improved their English skills,” Kleatt said.

The parenting curriculum has not only been used in Iowa secondary schools but has also been initiated in schools across the country.

Rhona Beltz, a ninth-grade teacher from Latrobe, Pa., used the curriculum during the 1995-96 academic year.

“The ISU parenting curriculum deals with important issues and its full of innovative teaching ideas. This is what we should be teaching,” Beltz said.

ISU’s eight-week parenting curriculum covers a wide range of topics — including teen pregnancy, child abuse, the importance of communication between family members, the conception and development of children and the roles and responsibilities that parents have in raising children.