Iowa State television addicts join forces

Sarah Wolf

What’s going to happen now that Amanda and Peter are married? Are the Chiefs going to dominate the NFL again? Can we ever get used to seeing Justine Bateman without thinking of Mallory Keaton?

The answers to these questions — plus a few new ones — will slowly unfold over the course of the upcoming TV season, the beginning of which, for most shows anyway, kicks off next week. And students, from couch potatoes to the occasional viewer, are psyched.

The brand-new football season has gotten many sports fanatics pumped up for NFL action. Jason Reed, a senior in philosophy, is ready to cheer for the Washington Redskins and “whoever plays the Dallas Cowboys.”

“What I’m most looking forward to is ‘Monday Night Football,'” Reed said. “It gives mindless entertainment for the savage beast that lies within all men. It’s vicarious living. I get to have my animal instincts, my caveman instincts, and live through all that hitting and smashing and all that good stuff.”

Even those who claim not to watch much TV still find time for the evening football battles. Chad Schlichte, a freshman in computer science and computer engineering, said that he watches “very little television,” basically because he’s in front of a computer most of the time, but he makes sure to root for the Steelers every week.

For those who like a little plot with their TV, media moguls are offering a whole slew of already-established favorites for the viewing public. Shows like “Frasier,” “News Radio” and the whole line-up of Must-See TV have kept fans in suspense for an entire summer, and people are ready to move on.

Andrea Helbling, a senior in sociology, is all set to see what develops on “Mad About You.” Last season’s cliffhanger has left her a-hankerin’ for the continuation. “At the end of the season, you really didn’t know what’s going to happen between the couple,” she said.

Another NBC money-maker has people wondering what on earth Kramer and the gang have been up to all summer. For Helbling, anyway, the syndicated shows on five nights a week have only served to whet her appetite for new episodes.

“With ‘Seinfeld’ at 4:30 everyday, I love ’em, they’re great, they make me laugh, but I need some new ones,” she said.

Reed would like to see the show revert back to an earlier season, back when George had joined the ranks of the unemployed. “I like ‘Seinfeld,’ but the motifs are redundant,” he said.

“George is still a scum. He still gets himself in trouble. When George got a job, the show went right down the toilet. As the loser he used to be, he used to be funny. I hope he loses his job, lives with his parents, all that good stuff.”

Another NBC monster has Joni Elsbecker, a freshman in liberal arts and sciences, excited. “Caroline in the City” finished off in the spring with a love triangle of sorts that should be resolved this season, and Elsbecker will be sure to tune in.

But the side-splitters are not the only shows that have people planted in front of their entertainment centers. Helbling is also ready for the suspense and adventure of “X-Files.”

“That show is crazy,” she said. “I watch it when I don’t have to work. I can’t believe that I like it because I’m not really into those action stories.”

On the other network, Heather Jacobsen, a freshman in exercise science, was vehement in her dislike for FOX’s evening soap operas. “I hate ‘Melrose Place,'” she said. “I used to watch it, but I kinda like comedy over whatever it is they do. They try to deal with real issues, but they just come off looking stupid.”

The new-show hype has been almost as pervasive as the trailers for “Melrose Place,” and some of the previews have gotten viewers intrigued. Helbling is a fan of Rob Schneider (the guy in the copy room on “Saturday Night Live”), so she plans on watching his upcoming show with Justine Bateman, “Men Behaving Badly.”

“I really like the lead character in there,” she said. “He’s great. I love him. I’ll probably check it out. I don’t know if it’s gonna be any good or not, but I’m always up for checking it out.”

But many people are not as optimistic about other shows, especially ones that are spin-offs from successful movies. “I think that ‘Clueless’ show will be horrible,” Helbling predicted. “I can’t imagine that being any good.”

Elsbecker agreed: “There’s gonna be something like a ‘Dangerous Minds’ TV show. It’s so stupid when they make a TV show out of a movie. They [once] had an ‘Uncle Buck’ show and now a ‘Weird Science.’ It’s so annoying because [the TV show] is never as good as the movie.”