Benbrook, Fritz honored through separate $1 million gifts

Shawntelle Madison

Iowa State created the Martin F. Fritz Endowed Chair in Psychology in honor of the $1 million gift donated to the university by Fritz’s son and daughter-in-law Dr. Kent Fritz and Linda Fritz.

Martin F. Fritz was a director of ISU’s Counseling Service and a radio personality for WOI radio.

Fritz began his career at ISU as a psychology instructor in 1927. He became a full professor in 1927. During his years at ISU his research included improving college student’s reading ability and studying the effects of diet on intelligence. Fritz became the director of the ISU Counseling Service in 1956, which he held until 1967.

“Martin was outgoing, gregarious and a wonderful conversationalist. He literally created the counseling service at Iowa State,” said Roy Warman, director of the counseling service from 1967-88.

During his years at WOI Radio, Fritz gave a weekly program on psychological topics. In 1968 he became an emeritus professor and began teaching again for the undergraduate program.

A bust of Fritz can be seen at the University Museum. It was sculpted by Christian Petersen in 1946. The Fritzes donated the bust to the museum.

Fritz passed away in November of 1992.

The donor for the Martin F. Fritz Endowed Chair, Dr. Kent Fritz, was born and raised in Ames.

He attended ISU and received a degree in psychology in 1958. He earned in his Ph.D. at Ohio State University.

The Fritz’s gift is part of ISU’s $300 million capital campaign, Campaign Destiny: To Become the Best.

Kay Kirkman, the senior director of development for the liberal arts and sciences department, is the liaison between the department the the Fritzes.

Anytime there is a donor with a large gift for the LAS department, Kirkman works with them. She said that over four years the Fritzes have raised $120 million for scholarships, fellowships, and building renovations to help ISU.

Kirkman said, “It is an endowment that gives that money to hire a renown scholar to the university. They help bring in people students may never see.”