Students can make decisions for future today at Career Day

Tracy Deutmeyer

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Business will host their Career Day today from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Great Hall in the Memorial Union with representatives from 156 businesses and corporations.

Career Day adviser Laurie Karns said it is a golden opportunity for students because they can gain information from about 156 different employers without having to travel far.

The College of Business and the College of LAS have hosted a Career Day each year since 1979, Karns said.

She said students from all colleges are welcome to attend Career Day and students do not need to sign up to visit business representatives.

“Students should have their resumes ready, and they should come prepared to ask questions,” said Tina Derby, chairwoman of the Career Day student committee and a senior in finance.

“This is a great way for students to meet employers. It’s informal but students can still make a lot of contacts,” she said.

In addition to Career Day, a Mock Interview Day will take place Thursday in the Great Hall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“Students can go through practice interviews with real live recruiters,” Karns said.

Karns said that students needed to sign up for the interviews but, like every year, the schedules are full by Career Day.

Karns said Career Day is not only for upperclassmen. It can be helpful for underclassmen as well.

“Students that are sophomores for example can go to Career Day and look for internship possibilities and maybe ask recruiters:

“‘What are some classes I could take along the way for me to position myself in a good place for a career?'” she said.