From flood to Big Macs, summer was action-packed

Kevin Petty

The summer of 1996 was an eventful one at Iowa State through protests, a minor natural disaster and the rebirth of student-run radio on campus.

McDonald’s in the Hub:

The Memorial Union received the ISU vending contract, a deal that promises the Union at least 80% of the $1.4 million in estimated annual vending proceeds. The Union’s contract calls for the placement of a McDonald’s in the previously vending-only Hub.

This decision angered many students and faculty to the point where a rally, which attracted more than 200 participants, was held on July 11 on the steps of Beardshear Hall.

University officials decided to postpone the McDonald’s-Hub portion of the Memorial Union contract in order to receive more input from the university community.

Catt Hall :

The Sept. 29 movement continued its battle to have the name of Carrie Chapman Catt Hall changed.

Old Botany Hall had been recently renamed for the first female graduate of Iowa State University. The refurbishings included a brick walkway with the names of women who either donated or had donations given in their name to the reconstruction effort.

It was later alleged by the September movement that Catt had stated controversial racial and xenophobic remarks. After this development, two people covered their bricks with black cloth. The covers were removed time and again despite the efforts of the donators to keep them covered.

The Sept. 29 movement then delivered an ultimatum to Iowa State President Martin Jischke and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Elizabeth Hoffman. The groups said if the university did not discover who had removed the covers from the bricks within a 30 day period, they would cover the bricks permanently. The bricks were later removed by the university in July.

Fourteen branches of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People announced their support of the Sept. 29 movement.

Flood of ’96:

The city of Ames was once again under water, but not as long or with as much damage as the flood of 1993.

On Monday, June 17 Ames felt the effects of the previous night’s dumping of 5-8 inches of rain directly to the north of the city. This rain caused the cresting of the Squaw Creek at 15 feet, the North Skunk River at 14 feet, and the South Skunk river at a record 15.9 feet.

The flood did not take the city by surprise. Sandbaggers rushed to various locations throughout the city combatting the rising waters, and saving many businesses and homes. The flood damage was not as great as the flood of ’93, but still totaled an estimated $250,000 in damage to Story county roads and bridges. There were no fatalities.

The waters receded rapidly, and by Wednesday of that week most roads were once again open to traffic.

Mall additions:

North Grand Mall expanded its theaters with the addition of the Grand Five. This increases the total number of theaters in the mall to seven. The mall also added several new stores including Victoria’s Secret, Bath and Body Works and Limited Express.

KURE gets ready to come back on the air:

KURE, the campus radio station formerly known as KUSR, prepared for a return to the airwaves of Ames and surrounding communities. The station ceased broadcasting on November 1, 1995 due to licensing and related FCC problems. The station is now broadcasting at 88.5 FM.

Break schedule revamp:

The break schedule for this year has been altered. Students will now have one more week in the sun, but one less week to make snowmen as the summer vacation is extended by a week and the winter break shortened by one. All three state universities will also have a coordinated spring break.

Floyd to Bulls?:

Coach Tim Floyd may or may not, depending on who you talk to, have been courted by the defending NBA champion Chicago Bulls. It was rumored that in late June, Floyd had an invitation from the Bulls to be either an assistant coach or even a possible replacement of Bull’s head coach Phil Jackson. Floyd admitted talking with Bull’s owner Jerry Krause, but later signed a five year extension that puts him under contract to ISU through 2006.