Wake up to STV9, ISU’s student-run TV station

Corey Moss

This year could be the last for ISU television station STV9, but that’s not stopping Promotions Director Kristen Dirsch and the rest of the staff from making it a fun one.

“It will be a fun year,” Dirsch said. “I’m producing “Wake Up ISU” again and that will continue to be a lot of fun.”

“Wake Up ISU” is Iowa State’s live news program featuring news, weather and sports. The program airs Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8 a.m. and then re-airs at 4 and 6 p.m..

“Everything we do on the show promotes Iowa State,” Dirsch explained. “We have, I guess, what you would call campus celebrities on every week. We have Jischke on and Coach McCarney. Pretty much all of the coaches.”

Dirsch’s show also brought in Gov. Terry Branstad during Veishea last year. Scott Drzycimski , now Scott Lind, did weather for “Wake Up ISU” last year and is now a meteorologist for WHO TV13. Jason Shoultz also graduated and is reporting for KWQC.

“‘Wake Up ISU’ would be a good show for freshman to tune into and find out what’s happening on campus,” Dirsch said.

STV9 will continue airing from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on cable channel 9. SCOLA, an international news program, will complete the 24 hour a day schedule.

According to Dirsch, the program has a large viewership among the international students on campus. “It’s really the only place they can find out what’s going on back home,” she said.

A state funded educational program will be among the newshows coming to STV9, while Pro Sound Presents will continue to be their primary entertainment program. The show features in studio performances from most of

the local bands along with occasional M-Shop performances.

“We’ve had Lunchbox, The Nadas, all kinds of bands,” Dirsch said. “For Veishea last year, they broadcasted live from the Terrace Music Festival.”

STV9 will hang flyers and send staff into classrooms to promote the station.

The student-run organization also plans on doing some heavy recruiting at the start of the school year.

“It is kind of a time commitment,” Dirsch said. “We just encourage volunteers to give what they can. The main problem with student viewership is that a lot of students just can’t afford to get cable.”

Exhibit Hall, the campus building that houses the studio, is scheduled for demolition at the end of the year.

The university has yet to relocate STV9, causing Dirsch and other staff to be worried about their future.

“It’s very iffy,” she said. “It’s not easy just to pick up and move and TV studio.”

STV9 will began running the second week of classes to allow the staff to prepare.