Former Vet Med dean retires Sunday

Kevin Petty

An icon sculpted by Christian Petersen titled “The Gentle Doctor” stands in front of the Iowa State College of Veterinary Medicine. This sculpture is a representation of the ideals behind a veterinarian.

Another icon of these same ideals has been inside the college for the past 40 years. This icon is Dr. Phil Pearson and he will be retiring on Sunday, June 30, after nearly 40 years of service to the university.

Pearson has been a part of the College of Veterinary Medicine since 1950 when he enrolled there as a student. Pearson served as the dean of the college for 17 years, from 1972-1989, and earned the Outstanding Teacher Award at ISU in 1968. Pearson was named the Veterinarian of the Year in 1989 by the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association.

After serving as dean for 17 years, Pearson wished to resume teaching and after a short relearning process continued his career as a superb teacher.

Pearson has taught many students over the years, including several of the current faculty members. Dr. Ron Grier, the chief of staff at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, was among them.

“He is a superb teacher. He has a terrific rapport with the students, really making them feel at ease,” Grier said.

Grier was hired by the college in 1970 and said he hopes he can treat Pearson’s replacement, who arrives in October, as he was treated. Apparently Grier and a colleague made an unusual impression on Pearson when they first began work at the college.

“I hope we would be as patient with him as Dr. Pearson was with us. When I first came here, another doctor and I rearranged some of the surgery rooms and threw out some instruments that we thought were outdated, but that Dr. Pearson had actually modified himself. He took it quite well. He’s a very quiet person — though he was extra stoic for a while,” Grier said.

Dick Ross, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, was also taught by Pearson.

“He immediately captured the fancy of me and my classmates as a surgeon and a teacher. He definitely had an impact providing me with an enormous amount of encouragement,” Ross said. “He is a marvelous faculty member and administrator who contributed immensely to the progress made by the college over the last 40 years.”

Pearson, an Ames resident all his life, grew up on a farm and “came to town” after the sixth grade, graduating from Ames High School in 1950.

“Growing up on a farm and working with animals and also having an interest in medicine, I thought veterinary medicine was an excellent way to combine the two,” Pearson said.

Upon his retirement, Pearson plans to have “more time to spend with the family, friends and pursue hobbies.”

When Pearson is described by his colleagues, the same words keep coming up: committed, dedicated, caring, sensitive. Pearson has dedicated his life to the education of others and to the care-giving of his patients and their owners.

Pearson will be leaving the university on Sunday, but the sculpture in front of the building that he spent so many years in will remain as a symbol of the ideals of the veterinarian and the substance of this former dean.