New ISU administrative building being considered

Jennifer Young

A new administrative building may be constructed in the area of west Pammel Court, pending approval of the Board of Regents.

Dean Morton, university architect, said the building will house offices including Administrative Data Processing (ADP), the purchasing department and the extensive communications operations.

“The main reason for the new building is to relocate the offices from central campus to the external parts of campus,” Morton said.

Morton said central campus would be more student-oriented if the offices are moved to a new location.

The purchasing department is now located in the general services building, ADP is in Pearson Hall, and the communications operations are in Morrill Hall.

The area proposed for the building is at west Pammel Court, where several housing units have recently been torn down. Morton said the area should be completely cleared by the year 2000.

Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, said the plan for the building is an “effort to consider whether there are administrative activities in the core of the campus.

“We’ve got a lot of administrative activities that don’t have to be physically close to students on campus,” Madden said. “What is driving all of this is improving student services.”

Madden said the new plan is also an option to solving the campus parking issues because there would be more spaces open with the staff moving elsewhere.

“We have lots of planning studies going on,” he said.

Madden said most of the offices in Morrill Hall will be housed in the new building. “We want to vacate the rest of Morrill Hall.”

Morton said the Board of Regents will vote on the proposal at its next meeting on May 15. Morton would not comment on the price of the building or when it would be completed.