Avalos, Miller receive top faculty honors for Veishea

Tim Frerking

This was the third year the Veishea committee chose a Professor of the Year and the first year it chose a Staff Member of the Year.

This year, Hector Avalos, a professor of philosophy and Latino studies, ISU’s newest program, won Professor of the Year. The coordinator of the Iowa State lectures program, Patricia Miller, won Staff Member of the Year.

Avalos said he was “absolutely flabbergasted” when he won the award.

He had been hospitalized at the beginning of the academic year at the Mary Greeley Medical Center and was then moved to the University of Iowa hospitals in Iowa City. Because of this he missed the first five weeks of class and didn’t return to ISU until Sept. 25.

“To go from that situation to Professor of the Year is an accomplishment for me,” he said.

President Martin Jischke said one student described Avalos as “an excellent professor and a champion of Iowa State students.”

Miller, the Staff Member of the Year, had coordinated efforts to bring personalities as varied as Henry Rollins to Jocelyn Elders to ISU.

The awards were given at the Veishea 1996 Faculty and Staff Recognition Reception in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union on the Thursday before the Veishea celebration. Both rode in the Veishea Parade.

Miller said, “This is really an honor, and I get to ride in a car.”

Professors and staff members were nominated by students, then each department’s student council chose a nomination for their department. Finally, the Veishea committee selects the winners.

Avalos was nominated by Chad Mann, a senior in history, and Cindy Whited, a junior in Latino studies. Miller was nominated by Elizabeth Andre, a freshman in liberal arts and sciences and Shellee Novotny, a senior in elementary education.

Jischke, who announced the awards, said, “While [Veishea] is a student-run activity, the role of the faculty and staff is undeniable.”