Students honored at Veishea leadership awards banquet

Colleen Mullen

On Sunday of Veishea weekend, several Iowa State officials and personnel will be present at the Leadership Recognition Banquet to honor those students who have shown outstanding leadership during their college careers.

At 11 a.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, the student winners will be presented with the awards.

Terri Houston, assistant dean of students, said this is the second year for the Leadership Banquet. It was originally held by Veishea, Houston said, and this year more ISU personnel and faculty have put forth their time and effort, along with Veishea and the Student Activity Center, to create a new University Leadership Award for sophomores and juniors, to be added to the program.

“This year we added some additional recognition,” Houston said. “Two components of the [University Leadership Award] include recognizing all student leaders on campus, and it’s kind of an end of the year celebration for student leaders.”

The award is a part of a $26 million endowment, and Houston said they solicited donors for the leadership awards, and already several people have donated money.

Houston said, Thomas Thielen, vice president for student affairs, was very instrumental in pulling everyone together to make the award possible.

The new award was created to “recognize student leaders for their contribution to the university. We did not place an emphasis on scholastic ability or financial need, [rather] on how much of their involvement has made a difference to the university and the community,” Houston said.

“It highlights the importance of leadership and emphasizes that leadership activities make you a well-rounded individual,” said Shellee Novotny, Veishea general co-chair.

“Veishea and the administration want to thank those students for all the hard work they do [during their college careers],” she said. “Often these students don’t get recognized for that.”

The awards and the winners

The sophomore award to be given on Sunday is the Tze-Yen Teoh Sophomore Leadership Award. It was established to recognize the contribution of a sophomore at ISU in a leadership capacity who had made a difference at ISU and the community.

Tze-Yen Teoh was killed in a car accident when he was a sophomore at ISU. Originally from Alor Setar, Kedah, Malaysia, Teoh was a sophomore in chemical engineering and was an active leader at ISU, according to Houston.

“He was fond of the university, and he also worked as a student leader,” Houston said, and because of this, his parents wanted to use his college money to put toward this new award.

The recipients of this year’s award are Andrew Lashier, who served as the youngest member of the Student Foundation Committee of the Student Alumni Association, and has participated in many other leadership positions, and Marcie Vaughn, who has been Cy as a member of the ISU Mascot and Spirit Squad. She also has been involved with the College of Agriculture and has shown other leadership abilities.

The Junior Leadership Award is designed to recognize the leadership contributions of a junior at ISU who has shown the reflection of leadership development. The student was selected based on dedication to the university.

This year’s recipients are Andrew Krzmarzick, who has been a travel coordinator for the Student Ambassador Committee and has been involved with Veishea along with several other activities, and Kyle Pierce, whose leadership has stemmed mainly from his participation in the Black Student Alliance. He has served as director of university relations, director of programs, vice president and has been the president of BSA for the past two years.

The traditional Wallace E. Barron All-University Senior Award was established in 1968 in honor of “Red” Barron, longtime director of the Alumni Association. The award recognizes the qualities of character, academic achievement, leadership and service that he valued and includes a life membership in the Alumni Association.

This year’s recipients include Bryce J. Freeman, Karlene R. Hunter and Annissa J. Page.

Freeman has served as president of the Senior Class Council, president of FarmHouse and has held several other positions.

Hunter has served as a chair of Parent and Family Weekend, a Cyclone Aide and Accounting Club president.

Page has contributed her time to the Wilkie House in Des Moines and has served as a mentor for ISU students. She was also a founding member of the College of Education’s Minority Leadership Board.