Seven Veishea scholars to attend celebration

Tim Frerking

For high school senior Amanda Jo Strotman of Waverly, being awarded a $500 scholarship by Veishea 1996 has been a major factor in deciding where she will continue her education.

“I was looking at several different schools, but now I’m leaning toward Iowa State. It’s pretty much definite,” she said.

She and seven other Veishea scholars will visit the ISU campus this weekend as part of the Veishea celebration’s promotion of ISU to high school and junior high school students.

Veishea promotes ISU through the Veishea Scholarship, holding “Experience Iowa State/Veishea,” and inviting area junior high schools to the celebration.

“It may be their first chance to see Iowa State,” said Veishea general co-chair Shellee Novotny.

This is the first year for “Experience Iowa State/Veishea.” The university has invited 65 out-of-state high school seniors who have been admitted to ISU. Starting Friday they will get a chance to learn about college life, academics and activities, and will stay until after Saturday’s parade.

Also, 400-500 local junior high school students have been invited to visit the university on Friday. They will be bused to ISU by their schools and will visit the open houses, have lunch and learn about the university.

“It’s basically to expose some of the junior kids to what life at Iowa State is about,” said Michelle Bailey, Veishea’s educational outreach co-chair.

The eight Veishea scholars will be recognized by ISU President Martin Jischke during Friday’s opening ceremonies and will have breakfast with him Saturday morning.

Former Veishea scholars will take this year’s scholars on a tour of the university including Hilton Coliseum, the engineering animation labs, any of the departments the scholars wish to visit and a tour of the city of Ames. The eight scholars will also ride in the parade Saturday.

Liza Lucas, Veishea’s scholarship co-chair, said, “It brings the eight brightest high school seniors to Iowa State University.”

Lucas, who is a former Veishea scholar, said the scholarship based on leadership. Applicants are judged on “academics, high school involvement, and community leadership.”

She said, “A lot of scholarships are based only on academics and SAT scores. The Veishea scholarship incites [the scholars] to be a good leader at Iowa State and makes the university a better place.”

Novotny said applications are sent out to high schools all across Iowa, and that out-of-state students and high schools can request applications by mail.

Strotman said she is interested in majoring in business, but is looking toward human resources. “I’m really just a people person. I really love to get to know people.”

Strotman has been very active at Waverly-Shell Rock High School. She is involved in activities such as tennis, choir and National Honor Society. She participates in church activities, town blood drives and is state vice president of DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America).

Lucas said this is an example of the types of leaders Veishea is looking to bring to the university.

The other scholars for Veishea 1996 are: Jenny Butler of Lacona, Bryan A. Burkhardt of Des Moines, Kathy Hadely of Eldora, John Herickoff of Garden City, Minn., Amy Stiles of Sioux City, Sean C. Murphy of Bettendorf and Scott Sinclair of Charles City.