Office allocations for M.U. on hold

Jennifer Young

Memorial Union office allocations for next fall are being put on hold because of office space renovations.

The office renovations are the second part of the first phase of the renovation of the Union. The first part of phase I includes the renovation of the Union food court, scheduled to be completed this summer.

Brian Messenger, vice president of the Student Union Board, said office allocations, which usually take place in the spring semester, will take place next fall.

The Student Union Board will conduct interviews with those organizations requesting office space starting on the Wednesday before classes begin next fall. The interviews will take approximately one week.

Appeals will be heard during the second week of classes and office space will be formally allocated during that time.

The Union houses 23 student offices. Thirteen of those will be remodeled.

“We’re going to end up with bigger office space on the sides,” Messenger said. “There will be a mix of closed and open offices.”

Messenger said the Union will house 40 to 50 additional groups when the renovations are completed.

“It will be a big improvement from what we had before,” he said.

The construction will affect most of the remaining ground floor space of the Union, including all of the space located north of the main hallway.

Messenger said the Browsing Library and the Chapel will remain unchanged, except for a new entryway.

Since the renovations will take place over the summer, SUB is asking all student groups who currently have office space in the Union and are able to move out to do so.

“We’re asking everyone who can operate somewhere else to do that,” Messenger said. “People who really need to be here will have to share with other people, who they otherwise would not have to.”

Messenger said the groups will still be able to use the audix system and mailboxes. “Twenty-six groups will lose their office space on the ground floor,” he said.

The office renovations are scheduled be completed in mid-August, just in time for the beginning of fall semester.