Fliers have officials questioning free speech boundaries

Shuva Rahim

Two fliers found in Pearson Hall have university officials questioning the thin line of free speech.

The fliers, found on March 18 in Pearson Hall by Gary Cornelious, an audio/video technician for the technical services unit at the Media Resource Center, were about ethnofugalism which, according to the fliers, “is a mental disease that makes Caucasians feel guilty for being Caucasian.” The fliers state that this mainly affects straight Caucasian men.

The first of the two fliers defines an ethnofugalist was someone who sees virtue only in people other than themselves.

It also cited Garret Hardin’s 1993 book, Setting Limits, Ecology and Population Taboos, and Camp of the Saints by Jean Raispals.

The second flier gave a detailed explanation of the beliefs ethnofugalists are taught. Some of these teachings, according to the flier, are that all great inventions of civilization were made by minorities, and Europeans only borrowed them; the disease strives in Caucasians striving to be like minorities, and enthofugalism in Caucasian women causes them to lessen their guilt by having sex with “a Negro stud and having their children.”

Cornelious said when he found the fliers he turned them over to his building supervisor who turned the fliers over to the Iowa State Department of Public Safety. A copy of the fliers was also given to the Dean of Students Office and Minority Student Affairs.

“They [DPS] were very concerned about it,” Cornelious said. “We were wondering if it was an isolated incident or [if] some groups on campus were trying to recruit members. Either way, I would consider this as very scary.”

It is not certain if the fliers were produced by an individual or a group, said Jerry Stewart, assistant director of DPS.

Rafael Rodriguez, director of Minority Student Affairs, said the fliers could be from someone within the campus or outside the campus.

“The university is an open campus,” he said. “It could be anyone from a million Iowa habitants.”

Stewart said this type of literature is not illegal.

“There’s nothing in terms of a violation,” he said. “However, if it is offensive to people, we might make them aware of that.”

Kathy McKay, the dean of students, said it would be helpful if the source of the information could be determined.

“It would be a possibility that the person or persons involved would have a judicial hearing,” she said.

McKay said every case has to be looked at individually, especially cases regarding free speech.

“The university does not advocate any kind of discrimination or any kinds of negative attacks,” she said. “At the same time, the university also supports people’s right to free speech.”

Rodriguez said it depends on how the author intended for the fliers to be viewed.

“You have to look at both ends,” he said. “The office would not condone this malicious intent, but it can be used as an educational tool and open dialogue.”

Stewart said building supervisors generally control what is placed on bulletin boards in particular areas. However, he said a lot of things are posted regardless of content.

“How can you call it freedom when you hurt somebody? You don’t call it freedom of speech when you use it to hurt someone,” Cornelious said. “We’re never going to have advancement of diversity if this is passed on. It’s detrimental to all of our futures.”