Drummer gets its funding

Keesia Wirt

The Government of the Student Body Senate voted Wednesday to approve funding for several student organizations that had previously been denied funding approval.

The Drummer, a campus newspaper, was the only organization sent back at last week’s meeting with a request by the Senate to decrease the amount of funding it would receive.

After a financial hearing on Tuesday night, the finance committee voted against the Senate’s request to decrease the funding and actually voted to increase The Drummer’s funding by two cents.

Steve Elliott, finance director, said, though the majority of the Senate requested a decrease of funding, the committee decided a decrease was not appropriate based on the funding criteria.

“The Senate finally got its two cents worth,” Elliott said.

LAS Senator Scott Milburn, who wanted to decrease the amount of funding for The Drummer, threw two pennies into the middle of the Senate and said “what the finance committee did with this is a shame.”

Milburn had said The Drummer’s funding should be decreased because of its lack of readership by most ISU students and because it was a waste of paper to publish it.

“I’m trying to save this college a little money. The Drummer only has one advertisement in it; I think it needs to have more motivation to help cut the cost that GSB funds,” Milburn said.

Total funding for The Drummer by the GSB is now nearly $10,700. The Senate voted 21-2 to pass the new funding bill, which also included approval for several other student organizations funding.

The other groups whose funding recommendations were sent back by the Senate with a request for an increase, received their wish by getting more money from GSB.

The Agriculturalist, a campus magazine, had originally been recommended by the finance committee to receive $4,157.95, almost half of what the magazine had received last year. After reconsidering their first recommendation, the Finance Committee voted to recommend increasing funding for the magazine to almost $8,300.

KUSR, the campus radio station, also received an increase in funding. It had originally been recommended zero-funding by the committee, but will now receive more than $3,000 in GSB allocations.

The Norwegian Students Abroad, Students Against Drunk Driving, the Blood Drive and the GSB also received an increase in funding.

In other news: The Senate approved a bill to clarify the impeachment process for elected officials. The bill requests that the Senate Judiciary Committee write a special rules of order for impeachment. The bill clarifies and provides guidance for what needs to be done when impeachment proceedings are filed.