Faculty publication starts up

Colleen Mullen

The first issue of the Iowa State Daily’s version of University Times is being distributed to ISU faculty and staff this week.

H. James Potter, University Times editor, said the weekly publication will go out directly to about 6,000 faculty and staff at ISU. He said its content will be aimed at their interests.

Janette Antisdel, University Times general manager, said a contest is being held during the next two weeks asking faculty, staff and students to come up with a new name for the publication.

“The contest is called ‘NOT University Times,’ ” Antisdel said. “We will give any faculty member or student $500 for whoever comes up with the best name.”

Antisdel said since the Ames Daily Tribune has already distributed a similar publication with the same name, University Times officials will rename their publication.

“The Publication Board’s decision was that we wanted to concentrate on the primary purpose of the publication,” Antisdel said. “And that is to focus on faculty and staff — not get sidetracked on a [competitive name].”

Antisdel said she feels it makes sense to rename the publication so there will be no confusion.

University Times is a university-affiliated paper, she said, and the intention is to serve the university.

“We feel there has been damage done with the name being thrown all over campus,” Antisdel added.

Faculty, staff and students interested in submitting a new name can bring their suggestions to Room 108 of Hamilton Hall or send them to Potter by e-mail at [email protected]. The winner will be chosen Dec. 1.