Fall Blood Drive is underway

Erin Walter

Wonder Woman, Superman, Spidey and blood donors all have something in common — they’re heroes, organizers of Iowa State’s 1995 Fall Blood Drive say.

It Takes All Types of Heroes is the theme of the blood drive. It will continue today through Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Thursday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The Blood Drive Committee needs students’ help in getting 18,000 donors for the 1995 drive, said Jeremy Galvin, blood drive co-chair.

“ISU has the largest student-run blood drive in the nation. It’s up to students, faculty and Ames residents to come out and support the drive,” Galvin said. Blood banks from Ames, Des Moines, Omaha, Waterloo, Ottumwa and Cedar Rapids are represented at the drive.

“Although Tuesday was a little slow, it’s going wonderful,” said Phyllis Reimer, consultant for the Midwestern region of American Red Cross. “We don’t want everyone to come on Friday. We’d like them to come throughout the week.”

Reimer said some donors have asked questions about colds and medications. “It differs from [blood] center to center, but donors should come in and see if they’re eligible; most are,” she said. A donor must be off antibiotics for 48 hours before he or she can donate.

Some donors have also been concerned about how long it takes to give blood. Megan Terry, blood drive executive assistant, said donating takes less than an hour.

“We’ve been pretty good about getting people in and out of here,” Terry said.

Students who cannot or do not wish to donate blood, can also volunteer their time. Allan Ludwig volunteered because he just got a tattoo and was not eligible to donate blood.

“I usually donate about three times a year,” he said.

Kristen Smith, a sophomore in pre-business, said she felt “a little dizzy” after donating, but she said it was worth it. “You never know when your family may need blood. It’s good to feel like you helped out,” she said.

KCCQ broadcasted live from the Great Hall Monday morning and interviewed ISU Athletic Director Gene Smith when he gave blood. Channel 8 also broadcasted live from the blood drive Tuesday afternoon.

New ISU Women’s Basketball Coach Bill Fennelly also donated blood Monday. Galvin said Fennelly was excited about giving.

“He gave me a high five as he left,” he said.