Macbeth will change your mind about ballet

Sarah Wolf

If your idea of ballet is muscular guys and graceful girls prancing around in spandex, think again. And if you associate Shakespeare with boring sermons and topics that have no business in the 20th century, get that outta your head. And to help open your eyes, Ballet Iowa is presenting their season opener, Macbeth, this weekend at the Civic Center.

This particular show is the second of its kind; it premiered last year at the Civic Center and won both audiences and critics over. Now, a year and a half later, Macbeth is back with a vengeance (no pun intended).

“[Last year], we had very good attendance, lots of good comments and very high reviews,” said Konstantin Uralsky, artistic director of the production. “A live performance is always a little bit different; the 18 months between performances give the show stronger foundations.”

The show combines both dance and drama, to which Uralsky added his own special touch and flair. So no one else on the planet has seen a performance of Macbeth like this one. “I’m not the first one who did Macbeth the ballet, but I did adapt this version,” Uralsky explained. “The most important (question to ask) is, ‘What did the author want to say when he wrote the play? What was his message?’ What’s of more importance is very difficult to say. We could have a very long conversation about it.”

He has chosen to concentrate on the characters of Macbeth, Lady Macbeth and the three witches.

And while a lot of non-English majors think Shakespeare is about as exciting as an episode of “Beavis and Butthead,” Macbeth promises to give its audience a new insight into The Bard.

“You don’t see ballet performances on the street,” Uralsky said. “And it’s based on literature; several of Shakespeare’s plays have been turned into ballets. It’s a very dramatic tragedy presented by ballet language, the language of our bodies.”

But the vital part of any sort of live production is, of course, its audience and admirers. Fans keep literature like Shakespeare alive centuries after it was first penned. “That’s what keeps masterpieces exciting and very contemporary,” Uralsky explained. “We’re talking about something that’s hundreds of years old, but people keep it alive.”

Young people, especially students, are the most important viewers, according to Uralsky. We are the ones who will carry on the tradition of theater and drama, so Ballet Iowa is making an offer that students will not be able to refuse: they are offering $10 student rush tickets (we’re talking a major savings here!).

“In the past, students have been the people who help theater to move forward,” Uralsky said. “I’m very surprised that that’s not always true anymore. That’s why we established the student rush line. It’s very important to have more students in the house. Some think, ‘Ballet is not for me — it’s a dead art,” but it’s a classic art. It’s not dancers in pink tights. It’s very emotional and theatrical. I offer my personal invitation to come and see the performance.”

Opening night for Macbeth is Friday, at 7:30 p.m., with additional shows at 7:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at 3 p.m.

Student rush tickets are available two hours before each show, only at the Civic Center Box Office, and only to those with student IDs, for $10 each.

Otherwise, tickets cost $38, $30, $23, $16 and $10 and are available at the Civic Center Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets or charge by phone at 233-1888.