SCC plans to shake up ISU’s senior class

Erin Walter

A Boone’s and Cheez Whiz party, a possible Senior Night at Hilton and a “funky toaster” for a logo are the ways the 1995-96 Senior Class Council plans to shake things up for Iowa State’s senior class.

“Our motto is ‘Senior Class Council — toasting to a great year,” said Murray Williams, SCC vice-president.

Council members said they are hoping for increased continuity within the senior class.

“Senior Class Council is designed to help unify the senior class in their last year,” said Jill Robertson, SCC public relations representative.

Through educational programming and social events, the council plans to represent the entire class with a variety of new activities.

Besides the traditional Senior Spook Halloween Party and a Flush Letter Party, the SCC voted on several new ideas at their meeting Wednesday night, Robertson said. One idea is to have a Senior Night at Hilton Coliseum. Williams said the council would like to get a corporate sponsor to provide “some type of gift for the first 100 seniors in the door.”

Another idea is a formal night at an ISU Theatre production. “We’re really looking for activities to reach different groups of people,” Williams said. “This type of activity will reach a different group of people than the normal FAC at a bar.”

Williams said the council is looking at revamping many of the SCC activities of past years. In the past, student contributions to the Senior Class Challenge, or senior class gift, had been set so high that seniors sometimes stopped making payments after graduation.

Also, projects picked by past councils were so big, students could not see their money at work at ISU for several years. Williams said the Lake Laverne renovation has been a project of several senior classes.

“We want seniors to be able to come back in a year and see what they donated,” Williams said. The current SCC would like to see more seniors donate smaller amounts of money for the gift.

Seniors will have a chance to fill out a questionnaire about possible gifts when they do teacher evaluations for the fall semester. Seniors can also stop by the Student Alumni Association office, Room 158 of the Memorial Union, to give input.

Robertson said it is important for seniors to know who their SCC officers are so they can have a voice. “If any seniors have ideas, they can contact any of the officers,” she said.

The 1995-96 SCC officers are: President Bryce Freeman, Vice President Murray Williams, Dayon Bowman, Kelley Burgess, Ryan Carey, Courtney Carmichael, Danielle Hample, Ahmad Haseeb, Jennifer Horn, Kimberly Morgan, Naomi Olsen, Jill Robertson, Imadullah Syed, Vince Ward, Ray Wijangco, Jeremy Wingerter and Matt Wyatt.