Current foreign language courses unfair

Tim Frerking

It all started when I was told I had to take a foreign language as a requirement for my major.

I know it is good to learn other languages, but, hey, I am from Iowa, and I never thought I should have to learn another language since so many people in the world spoke my language.

I know it is egocentric, but I guess I was lucky to be raised speaking English. Sue me if I didn’t want to learn another language.

The good folks at Iowa State told me otherwise, and I had to take a foreign language.

I wanted to take Swedish because then I could speak with my relatives from Sweden when they visit our family here in Iowa. It seemed to be the only real use I have for another language. Unfortunately, the university didn’t offer Swedish.

Okay, so I decided to take Spanish since I had been to Guatemala in April. Alright, I’m flexible. No problemo.

This semester I am taking Spanish 101. It is interesting. I read the text and listen to the tapes, but I couldn’t figure out how so many people in the class could breeze through this material.

One day we got into groups and did an activity. The two other people in the group got it done lightning quick and old, slow me was left in the dust. I asked to see what they did and asked how did they do it so fast. It was then they told me they had taken Spanish in high school.

After a few days passed I found out that a little over half of the class had taken Spanish before. This didn’t seem fair to me.

It was like taking algebra with calculus students. No matter how many questions are asked, those of us who have never taken Spanish still have to keep up with the speed of the rest of the class in discussion, comprehension and group activities.

So instead of complaining to everyone I decided to take action. I asked to speak with the head of the foreign languages department, James Dow. I told him that I thought all incoming foreign language students should take a placement test just like English and mathematics students do. Then they could place students in a course to fit them.

He agreed with me, but he couldn’t require placement tests for students with less than three years of a language in high school. Students with three or more years still can take a 101 course, but only for a pass/fail grade. Any student may test out of foreign languages if they wish, but nobody is required to take the placement tests. He suggested I keep raising my hand and ask questions.

I was not yet content, so I took my case to the Office of the Provost who I thought helped to decide our curriculum.

I was supposed to talk with the Associate Provost, Edwin Lewis, but he is a busy person—in meetings and whatever—so I was referred to the Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Zora Zimmerman, because the process for curriculum change must be initiated by the college itself. I felt like I was on a goose chase.

I called and waited on hold until I could speak with her. I told her how I felt it was unfair for beginning Spanish students to take a class for beginning Spanish students with students who weren’t beginning Spanish. I told her that we need a separate 101 class for foreign language students who have taken the particular language before. This could be determined with a required placement test.

They take the same measures in math for different levels of ability. I had to take an intermediate algebra class which wouldn’t count toward my degree just so I could take a pre-calculus class that did go toward my degree.

She was receptive to my ideas and agreed that they should be seriously considered.

She recommended that I write a letter to Dr. Edwin Powell who is the head of the college’s curriculum committee.

This proves that if a person sees something wrong and wishes to take action, he or she can change things. One person can make a difference.

Along the trail of people I spoke with, deans and secretaries alike,I was told they felt separate classes were necessary.

So why hasn’t anything been done? I will write my letter to Dr. Powell and his committee in the hopes that future foreign language newbies won’t struggle through an introductory course with people who had been introduced to the language already.

Tim Frerking is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Pomeroy.