Equus to open eyes at Fisher

Sarah Wolf

If that literature essay or page of calculus equations isn’t challenging enough for you, you might wanna cruise over to the Iowa State Center tonight for some intense brain exercise. Equus, the first presentation from the ISU Theatre Department, is opening at Fisher Theater tonight at 7:30 p.m.

It is the story of Alan Strang (played by Tim Davis, who is also the opinion editor of the Daily), a 17-year-old guy who has done something horrible: he has blinded six horses with a metal spike. Dr. Dysart (played by Gregg Henry, associate professor of theater) is his psychiatrist who is trying to figure out what made the young man commit such a gruesome act.

Equus as a play promises to get people to open their minds, beyond the I-have-a-test-tomorrow or what-if-he-doesn’t-ask-me-out kind of worries. The show goes much deeper than that.

“In terms of the emotional impact this play has, and the emotional ferocity, it makes all ages think,” Henry explained. “It makes my generation think where they’re going with their careers. It makes younger people think about grabbing life with both hands. It talks about generational differences, young people and their own sense of passion in this world.”

“I think the play challenges people to think about what is normal, what is accepted as normal,” Davis added. “My take on Alan is that he does things that most people would consider crazy.

“There’s a lot of passion in the play. What Alan is doing is so far out there from what normal is for a normal person.”

Alan has developed emotion beyond that what most students his age feel. He isn’t worrying about who to take to the prom, what shoes to wear or what he’s going to do next Saturday night.

“If you live life without a passion for something, no matter what it is, another person, a job, a sport, a painting or whatever, and you just continue to live life that’s comparatively empty, how sane are you?” Davis asked. “That’s what it calls into question.”

Equus is also unique in terms of the cast. The vast majority are students, but with the added bonus of a professor on stage too. Even though Henry has the authority in the classroom, that doesn’t carry over in the theater.

“What I’ve got on them is a significant number of years and lots of experience. That’s it,” Henry said. “It’s terrifying; I’m supposed to be teaching them acting. I’ve gotta put up or shut up. But it’s a good scary, a challenging scary, which I think I’m working up to.”

According to Davis, Henry has succeeded in proving he is worthy of the “professor” title. “Gregg, I think, is very giving,” Davis said. “I’ve seen him do this with me and other actors in the cast: when you’re speaking with his character, he tries lots of different things. He plays with it. This allows you to test your reactions. He’ll just do things to make your character react.”

While the main focus of the play is Alan and Dysart’s efforts to understand him, several students on stage without speaking parts contribute a lot to the overall performance.

“Without the guys playing the horses, this wouldn’t be as effective a show,” Davis explained. “They’re going to wind up not being personally recognized, but they have put in a tremendous amount of energy and effort. It’s kind of a thankless job.

“If they do well, because of the fact that they have no lines, no verbal communication with the audience, it’s very easy to not consider their importance as actors. If they didn’t do their job as well, it will take away a lot. But I have every confidence that they will do well. Without the horses, it’s really not the same play.”

Equus promises to open up your mind and make you question things you had previously accepted as “normal.” The cast and crew have been toiling for weeks to present this intense, challenging show.

Henry said, “We want this to be as good as we think it is.”

Additional performances of Equus are Sept. 22, 23, 29 and 30 at 7:30 p.m., with a matinee Oct. 1 at 2 p.m.

Tickets are $4.75 for students and $7.75 for adults; they are available through Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 233-1888 and at the door.

It may be easier to buy them in advance to avoid the line and a possible sold-out show. Information about buying season tickets, which cost $20 for five shows, and fall passes, $11 for three shows, will be available in the lobby.