3.5 percent tuition increase proposed

Colleen Mullen

The state Board of Regents is proposing a tuition increase of 3.5 percent for the 1996-97 school year, which if passed, would be the smallest percentage increase ever at ISU.

Dan Mangan, president for the Government of the Student Body, said it is the smallest tuition increase proposed in 14 years.

“Basically, this is very fair,” he said. “We are pleased they made a recommendation this low.”

Mangan said all-in-all, it’s a victory for out-of-state and in-state students who are getting “a fair shake.”

The 3.5 percent increase in tuition, he said, equals $92 for per year for undergraduate residents, which is the majority of the student body.

“It’s very nominal, very inflationary,” he said. “I think it is a good will effort on their part. We’ve been asking them to do the in-state, out-of-state thing for a long time.”

Mangan said all tuition categories would be increased by 3.5 percent for the 1996-97 year. The proposal asks that the tuition be increased to the following: $2,666 for undergraduate residents; $8,480 for undergraduate non-residents; $3,130 for graduate residents; $8,832 for graduate non-residents; $5,830 for Veterinary Medicine student residents; and $15,556 for Veterinary Medicine student non-residents.

The Regents also proposed an increase in tuition for all students at the University of Northern Iowa by 3.5 percent and proposed raising the University of Iowa’s tuition 3.5 percent for undergraduate residents and 5 percent for undergraduate non-residents.

Mangan said even though he agrees with what is proposed, there are some things he would like to look into further.

“There are some questions we are going to ask on how the university is spending money,” Mangan said. But overall, Mangan thinks the university is doing a great job of running things, but “there’s always room for improvement.”

The Regents’ meeting will be held at the University of Iowa in Iowa City Sept. 20. A decision regarding the proposal will be made at its October meeting.