ISU has the edge over Ohio on paper

Chad Calek

While Iowa State and Ohio were the only two Division I football teams last season to go undefeated, the Cyclones’ returning talent, when statistically compared to Ohio, gives ISU the advantage.

Iowa State’s offensive line, anchored by seniors Byron Heitz and Mark Konopka, have the edge in size over Ohio. The Cyclone offensive front averages 282 pounds compared to the Bobcats’ 272 pound average. ISU will start two seniors and three juniors. Ohio will play three seniors and two juniors. With the experience level so close, the overall size should give the Cyclones the advantage.

The ‘Clones also edge out Ohio at quarterback. Todd Doxzon, who has been starting games since his freshman season, is healthy and slated as the number one quarterback. While Doxzon started eight games last season, he also split time with back-up quarterback Jeff St. Clair. Doxzon completed 51 of 90 pass attempts last season for 745 yards and three touchdowns. Doxzon also helped out by rushing for 375 yards on 148 carries. Bobcat quarterback Sam Vink completed 90 of 195 passes last season for 944 yards, while throwing 11 interceptions and four touchdowns.

Troy Davis and Rodney Guggenheim will have the slight advantage over Ohio at the running back position. Davis, who saw limited time last season, averaged 5.3 yards per carry, including a long run of 37 yards. Davis collected 35 rushing attempts for 185 yards. Guggenheim rushed for 330 yards on 72 carries for an average of 4.6 yards. Ohio running backs Hank Ray and Lakarlos Townsend rushed for a combined 813 yards on 258 carries for an average of 3.1 yards per carry last season.

The Cyclone receivers, led by Mike Horacek, edge out the Bobcat receiving core. Horacek caught 22 passes for 368 yards and two touchdowns last season. Ohio’s top returning receivers happen to be the Bobcats’ two returning running backs. Ray and Townsend combined for 17 receptions for 118 yards and no touchdowns last season.

While the Cyclones’ defensive front slightly outweighs the Bobcats’ defensive line, 260 lbs to 253 lbs, the gametime experience gives the Bobcat defense a slight advantage. Ohio will start seven seniors, two juniors, a sophomore and a freshman. ISU will begin with four seniors, three juniors, three sophomores and one freshman. Both team’s linebackers and secondary are dead even, with talented players on both squads.

Both team’s specialists are also dead even. While Troy Davis has proven to be a game breaker returning the ball, Ohio’s Ray is no slouch.

ISU punter Marc Harris, who averaged 42.4 yards a punt last season, is considered on of the best punters in the Big Eight. The Cyclones’ weakness may come in their unproven freshman place-kicker, Jamie Kohl.

Kohl, who has been consistent in practice, has yet to face an opposing team rush. Ohio, on the other hand, will showcase a solid place kicker in two year letterman Scott Roberts. While special teams are often a forgotten area, they could play a huge role in tonight’s game.

The 1995 ISU football season will kick off against the Bobcats at 7 p.m. in Cyclone Stadium.