Diversity of Latin cultures to be celebrated with Latin Cultural Night

Latin+Cultural+Night+will+take+place+on+Saturday+in+the+Great+Hall+of+the+Memorial+Union.+

LGSA

Latin Cultural Night will take place on Saturday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Latin Cultural Night is set to take place this Saturday in a night filled with food and music as Latin Heritage Month comes to an end.

For 30 days during the months of September and October, Latin Heritage Month is celebrated as a way to honor the contributions of those who identify as Latin and coincides with the independence of various Latin countries.

This month brings awareness to and celebrates the diverse Latin cultures present at Iowa State. It consists of various events hosted by student organizations and offices that involve education, connecting and interacting with Latin cultures.

This year, the celebration culminates in Latin Heritage Night, which will take place from 7 p.m. to midnight Saturday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Entrance into the event will cost $10 for Iowa State students, faculty and staff, and $15 for non-Iowa State attendees. For members of Latina/o Graduate Student Association, Latinx Student Initiatives and Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, entrance will cost $5.

“We want this event to be an open space for people in Ames to experience and learn about what it means to be Latin*,” said Jose Gonzalez, president of Latina/o Graduate Student Association.

Lucrecia Sancho, an Argentinian singer and guitarist, will perform. (LGSA)

The event is designed for everyone to attend, including Iowa State students, faculty, staff and family members, as well as individuals not associated with the university.

“We want to celebrate the Latin* cultural heritage and bring together the Cyclone community by showcasing a part of our culture through food, music and dance,” Gonzalez said.

Food will be served at the event from 8 to 10 p.m.

During this time, Lucrecia Sancho, an Argentinian singer and guitarist, will perform. This performance will be followed by a DJ who will play a diverse array of Latin music while dance instructors share some dance moves with attendees.

“We hope that people can have a taste of our vibrant and highly diverse Latin* culture,” Gonzalez said. “Come ready to dance, have fun and hopefully learn a couple of new salsa steps.”

To purchase a ticket, visit this website.