Campus ministry to host interfaith labyrinth walk

The Vine will host an interfaith walk on Tuesday, Dec. 7 at 7 p.m.

As a way to practice self-care and reflect before finals week begins, an interfaith walk through labyrinths will take place 7 p.m. Tuesday.

“A labyrinth is an ancient type of maze that’s found throughout history, cultures and religions,” said Rev. Jen Hibben, director of The Vine. “Walking the labyrinth is a way to pray with the body, to find center and to seek the quiet voice of insight within.”

The walk is organized by The Vine, a progressive campus ministry associated with Collegiate Presbyterian Church. The event is a collaborative effort with the Wesley Center, another inclusive campus ministry, as a partner.

The walk will be led by Susan Harper, director of The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success, and take place at Collegiate Presbyterian Church. The event will include hot tea and snacks after the walk. Being explicitly interfaith, the event is open to anyone who wishes to attend.

Labyrinths signify modern rebirth, and there will be one inside the church and one outdoors, Hibben said.

“Because it’s not an exclusively Christian practice but one that is often used in self-care, we wanted to offer an opportunity to students of all faiths to walk it as they get ready for finals,” Hibben said.

Those who attend should wear comfortable shoes and clothing, Hibben said, and accommodations will also be available for those who might need them.

“To walk the labyrinth you simply follow the path, but there are different instructions or prompts that can be used,” Hibben said.

Finger labyrinths will be available for those that want to experience the event but find the walkable labyrinths inaccessible.

“The hope for participants is that they will have an opportunity to step away from studying and classes to connect with themselves, gain perspective and learn about a new spiritual practice,” Hibben said.