Author of “Adnan’s Story” to headline Social Justice Summit

Gillian Holte/Iowa State Daily

The Social Justice Summit will take place on Jan. 28 in the Memorial Union.

Iowa State’s 2023 Social Justice Summit will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Memorial Union. The event will provide students with resources and tools to take action, ask critical questions and empower themselves.

The summit has existed since 2000, and each year addresses different topics to adapt to all students and relevant issues.

This year, Rabia Chaudry, the keynote speaker, will discuss her New York Times bestselling book: “Adnan’s Story.” Chaudry is also the executive producer of an HBO documentary called “The Case Against Adnan Syed.”

Three different breakout sessions will be offered to help students with their social justice journey and how it relates to their community.

“Sessions will be offered at a variety of experience levels so that regardless of where participants are on their social justice journey, they’ll find something that will best fit them,” stated Hayley Goddard, the leadership and student organizations coordinator, in an email.

A new addition to the program is the Human Rights Resource Fair that will be available from check-in to close. Campus departments, student and community organizations will be in attendance to offer resources.

“Students will have the opportunity to hear from her about the work that she has done to exonerate wrongful convictions, her personal journey and more,” Goddard stated.

Following the breakout sessions and keynote speaker, students can purchase a copy of Chaudry’s book, “Fatty Fatty Boom Boom.” Dog-Eared Books will also have a book signing from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

“We are hoping that by attending this conference, we will not only be creating more advocates for social change, but we will give participants the chance to learn more about themselves,” Goddard stated.

To learn more about registration and the event, check out their website here.