Daphnique Springs brings professional stand-up to M-Shop

Nicole Hasek

Student Union Board posts their events throughout campus.

Stand-up comedian, actress and writer Daphnique Springs will perform her popular stand-up act on Comedy Night at the Maintenance Shop at 8 p.m. on Feb. 2.

Playing a variety of roles on stage and screen, Springs has starred in “How I Met Your Mother” (CBS), “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC) and “The Comedy Get Down” (BET). She has also been featured for Martin Lawrence (2015), on Laughs on FOX and recently on HBO “All Def Comedy.”

“We vetted through a list of [comedians] and determined she was in at least our top five, if not, our top two,” Alex Brown, performing arts co-director at the Student Union Board, said. “Plus, it works well for a special Black History Month comedy show.”

To pursue a career in the entertainment industry, Springs dropped out of college in 2009, making appearances in comedy television series, including “Glory Daze”(2010) and “FCU: Fact Checkers Unit.” She has also performed at venues around Los Angeles.

Among her achievements include being the 2015 Winner of the She-Devil Festival and the 2016 Winner of the American Black Film Festival “Comedy Wings Competition,” accumulating over 2.4 million TikTok followers, 616 thousand Instagram followers and 575 thousand YouTube subscribers.

“Between me and my co-director, she had us bursting out laughing the most out of most the people we listened to,” Brown said.

Brown said he hopes people are entertained, continue to come back to events and consider joining the Student Union Board.

Admission to Springs’ event is free and open to the public.

To view upcoming events and learn how to get involved, attend one of their team member meetings every other Wednesday at 5 p.m., or visit their website.